1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius Clicks Once When Accelerating

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Grogboshi, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Grogboshi

Grogboshi New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

My 2008 Prius with ~154,000 miles clicks once when accelerating. This only happens when the engine kicks in while driving. If I accelerate from a stop using only the electric motor, there is no click. In addition, if I am sitting in park and simply rev up the engine, there is also no click. The click is loudest when accelerating from a stop, but sometimes - though not all the time - there will be a click when accelerating from rolling down the road, and it is quieter then. Other than the single click, I have no trouble accelerating, steering, turning, or with anything else. This has been occurring for a few thousand miles now. I believe the click is also louder when it's especially cold outside, or if I haven't started up the engine and driven in some time.

I appreciate any insight you all can provide.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! any idea where the click is coming from? is it loud enough to record?

3. Grogboshi

Grogboshi New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

It's coming from the front of the car, I imagine either the engine or the suspension. I created a quick video where you can hear the sound. I was on a hill and accelerating up and the click was pretty loud. I turned around the tried to make another video going down the hill and only heard the click once, faintly, out of the three times I tried, so perhaps starting from a stop under the stress of going uphill makes the click worse.

edthefox5 likes this.
  4. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Have the front control arm bushings checked. When they go you have metal slapping on metal.

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow a new one. Never heard that before. Sounds like it has something to do with the inverter.
    Is the ac off during this?

Does it make that noise if your just sittting in the car and not moving and the engine happens to come on?
    Hope so because if it does just open the hood when the engine is off and wait till it starts. Or get someone to floor the accelerator and the engine will start while you listen, while listening under the hood try to locate the sound location.
    Also go on you tube and search

Prius inspection mode

That mode enables the engine to run continuously for inspection. Let it run and listen to it. Make sure engine oil is at full line and inverter coolant is bubbling in the tank.

I recommend everyone put it in inspection mode once and give a good listen to the motor so if anything ever occurs you will know what it's supposed to sound like. The engine has solid lifters so it's pretty clackity clack loud compared to other engines.

6. Grogboshi

Grogboshi New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It does it whether the AC is on or off, and sadly it does not click when just the engine is running. Either when the engine comes on by itself, or if I'm sitting in park and rev the engine or in drive and rev the engine with my foot on the brake. It only clicks when the engine kicks in while moving. I put it in inspection mode and looked over everything and it's all running fine; the engine sounds the same as it's always sounded - which, as you said, is pretty clacky.

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Has this car been in an accident before? That's a very sharp click, can't think it would be from the engine area

8. Grogboshi

Grogboshi New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No accidents. Nothing beyond occasionally scraping the bumper on a speed bump or when turning into an incline.

9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am wondering whether the damper located between the engine and transaxle might have a broken spring or getting loose.

valde3 likes this.
  10. Grogboshi

Grogboshi New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'm taking it in tomorrow, hopefully these will narrow down the possible suspects and we'll get it figured out.

11. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Is it making the noise if you sit in drive pressing hard on brake with left foot and then press throttle with right foot? Try to stab the throttle to get it to make the noise.

12. Grogboshi

Grogboshi New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It does not happen while stationary, even with the throttle pushed down to the floor.

13. Josephphamy

Josephphamy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did it click if you turn off the AC? Sounds like the AC Air compressor clutch.

14. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    In drive? Throttle pushed down in park doesn’t actually run the engine (it’s just spinning with MG1).

15. Chris Jay

Chris Jay New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does it sound like this:
    I am having a similar issue and got a check engine light sometimes with a catalytic converter code so I am thinking that is what it is for me. Did you ever figure out what it was for you?