1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius - Cut Losses or Fix?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Hawkman1010, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Hawkman1010

Hawkman1010 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello,

2008 Prius - 180k miles

Car when turned on makes a loud beep noise and whats seems like almost all of the lights on the dash turn on. When driving I've been told the breaks are hard to push.

Took to dealership for repair and was told it would be extremely expensive repair and may make (like 4k after labor) more sense to trade-in for a new vehicle. This rubbed me the wrong way and I left feeling like they just wanted to sell me a car and profit from the trade in.

They said the Inverter cooling pump needs replaced and the brake accumulator. ($2400 in parts alone is what's listed on this paper)

I took to another shop for a second opinion. I was originally told they would be willing to work on the vehicle but now I've received a phone call that they are not comfortable working with the Prius and are not familiar. (don't have the special high voltage gloves ooooof)

Now I've turned to you guys for help! Here are the codes that are firing off provided on the diagnostic from Toyota.
    -Hybrid Control Codes
    P0607
    P0A93

ABS/VSC/TRAC
    C1249
    C1252
    C1256
    C13191

Is it worth fixing in your opinion and what would be a reasonable repair cost?

Or website to find the part needed at decent prices.

Possible quick fixes for smaller issues that may be causing the issues?

Thank you!

2. JazzX4

JazzX4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a similar or same issue on my 2009, it is break related and that annoying chime/beep does not go away unless you turn off the car or lock it. The break module or something needs to be replaced, a shop quoted me $2,800 to replace with a used one but then they also backed out. And now seems like the battery is not holding much charge so I think I'm just going to cut our losses, I was offered $1,500 to trade in without seen it, at first I was offended but I think I'll take it, just hope they don't say no when they see it in person.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That ABS failure is a deal breaker. So expensive.

And coupled with the fact that your hybrid battery will probably fail soon too is the main reason I try to tell people a high mileage used G2 is really not a good used car.

They were exceptionally very reliable cars back in the day but all there fancy equipment is end of life now and fancy is expensive.

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

@JazzX4 where are you in SC?