1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 prius CVT issue? car's acceleration literally slipping when going too fast on an incline...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by A Former Member 1, Jun 6, 2014.

1. A Former Member 1

A Former Member 1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    III
    i was driving yesterday in a hurry to get to a wedding…i suddenly found myself going up an incline of perhaps 20 degrees at 80mph impossible…the car would stop accelerating like a belt was slipping, the sensation was that the car would try to go but couldn't and would catch and pick up a bit then slip…i had to take it down to 55 and even then had some slippage. i had told my dealer about this concern in the past and told everything was fine. last time i was at the dealer they said i needed a serpentine belt replaced…could this be causing the issue? it's likely the transmisision/cvt/psd...i honestly thought my car was going to die, but managed to make it back with almost no issue on the way home going 80 without inclines. i am REALLY REALLY pissed at the dealer now because they basically told me it was fine in the past and now that it's finally obviously a problem and i can replicate it my platinum extended warranty expired one week ago today and they won't make any sort of exception for me because they are just the worst dealership. anyone know if this is something i can get repaired elsewhere cheaper? is this even an issue or am i just pushing my car too hard??

2008 prius/55k miles.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If your HV battery meter is in the purple bars area (last 2 bars), what you are describing would be normal. When going up a hill, it will drain your HV battery and give you the feeling it's lacking power. Everything should go back to normal once your HV battery meter goes about half way or higher.

It has nothing to do with your belt.

3. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Did you monitor the "Energy" display during the incline? What likely happened is, your battery became nearly drained while traversing the incline (battery power plus engine power is required to maintain 80mph up an incline). Your engine could not send power to generate electricity because all power was being used to attempt to maintain 80 mph. So in an effort to protect the battery, the car pulls back the power to allow the engine to produce some electricity to charge the battery. This is perfectly normal and it shows that your hybrid system is indeed working properly to protect your battery.

4. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    One more with an "everything fine" vote. That happens commonly in the mountains. The HV pack reaches minimum charge (~40%), and the electric drive stops assisting. The Atkinson-cycle 1.5 doesn't have much hp or torque on its own, so without the electric drive, it needs to scream pretty good to produce enough power to keep the car climbing. With the lack of a relationship between engine speed and vehicle speed with CVT-type power transfer, it may feel like slipping, but it's just trying to maximize the engine's power output to try to satisfy demand. It's working exactly as designed.

20-degree grade?! That's steeper than Baldwin Street in Dunedin! Nothing will go very fast up that without some rocket assist.

Baldwin Street - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

#4 tanglefoot, Jun 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The transmission is not "literally slipping."
    The e-cvt sometimes spins the engine unrelated to the position of your foot on the fuel pedal.

It is part of the magic of why this car gets high MPG, so get used to it.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are you in the bay area?

7. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    20 degrees... I think that might be a bit of an exaggeration. It is hard to estimate such things.

8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    At least on Prius owner has had an oil seal blow allowing the torque damper to slip, it is normally always clamped NOT to slip unless you have catastrophic failure. It is incredibly rare.

9. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2008 prius here 35k. Lol I win

iPhone ?

10. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Another 1 time poster talking about "slipping tranny". There is another one on the same page. Smell fishy to me.

11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My quick calculation of a 3000 pound Prius (with driver, no other load) traveling up a 20 degree slope at 80 mph, is burning 219 horsepower just for the climb alone, not counting any air drag or electrical path losses.

Of course it will slow down. The 2008 Prius has only 79 horsepower at the ICE shaft, and less at the wheels once the battery is drained. That isn't enough power to climb at even 30 mph, let alone 55.

It wasn't the CVT that was slipping, it was the tires on the road -- probably glazed concrete, as asphalt won't remain adhered to roads that steep. Interstate highway slopes are legally limited to about 4 degrees.

The eCVT has gears, not belts. If it 'slips', one will hear fracturing metal, likely immediately followed metallic grinding and prompt failure to get propulsion at all.

#11 fuzzy1, Jun 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  12. Paul Schenck

Paul Schenck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Fuzzy1 is thinking pretty clearly. Me thinks Duperjew left his inclinometer at school!

iPhone ?