1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 prius dashboard speedometer light out and reverse camera not working

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jbirdawg, Dec 2, 2020.

1. jbirdawg

jbirdawg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Both appeared to not be working at the same time. Anyone with experience like this? I have 110K miles on it. I did a just answer and all I got was to check the "panel" fuse under the dash. It looked good. I am curious what a repair would cost or if there is a reasonable DIY fix.

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Is the entire dash dark? Door ajar light working?
    Does the car start if you do foot on brake and press power button?

3. jbirdawg

jbirdawg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I could see the Airbag light on the right side of the dash. No door ajar light and I can start it and drive it. I just turned the lights on for about 5 seconds before starting it and the dashboard came back on and the reverse light is working. I read somewhere this may only work a few times. Not sure.

4. jbirdawg

jbirdawg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I will add that I recently changed out the 12v battery and have driven it a couple of weeks with no issues.

5. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What you experience sounds like the typical capacitor failure in the speedometer (aka combination meter). I believe it also explains the reverse camera not working, AFAIK the CM processes the gear shift signal and passes it on to the multifunction display.

If you are fairly handy with a soldering iron (surface mount components) then it is a DIY repair. Otherwise you can remove the CM and swap it for a rebuilt unit from Texas Hybrid batteries.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. jbirdawg

jbirdawg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thank you for taking the time to reply. Oddly, I took it in to my local Toyota dealership to diagnose and over the two days they had it the dashboard did't fail again. They tried many starts and it came on every time. I guess, lucky me, for the moment. Before starting the car to take it in I turned the headlights on and waited 10 seconds before starting and the dashboard started up and has stayed on. At least I know the most likely culprit when it does go out. I have no experience soldering but am fairly handy and can learn.

7. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  8. Darust25

Darust25 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you for sharing this experience. I had the same issue. I did what you did. I turned the lights on, then powered on the car, and magically, the dashboard lit up again and the reverse camera began working as well. And now when I power the car off and on, it is working properly. Did this continue to work for you or did it eventually fail again? Thanks for any advice so I can prepare.

9. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    IF you have a failing CM, it WILL get worse. Some folk are willing to deal with it for months (if not years).

On my 06, the fault prevented any of the warning lights from working when the CM was out. I also needed the odometer to work reliably for inspection. So I fixed mine ASAP.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.