1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius dead and Fob doesn't work

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Aggiemae, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Aggiemae

Aggiemae New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I left a light on in the car probably 4 times within the last couple of months. The battery was dead when I got back to the car. My husband jumped the car off of the battery under the hood. The car started right up. Now I don't think I left anything on and the car will not start. I press the power button and the green light is on but nothing lights on the dash, radio does not work, neither the windows or door locks. The headlights and brights work along with the dome lights are nice and bright. I press the power button again and the light on it is orange and the check engine light is on. The Fob does not lock or unlock the doors. When I press the unlock on the Fob the flashers come on. The Toyota dealer said to hold the Toyota emblem on the fob over the power button and then hold the power button down. Nothing happened. Tried several times even pushing the key button under the steering wheel in and out. It doesn't seem to matter if the button is in or out the car with the key flashes on the dashboard. Tried also with one key in. I then purchased a new 12v battery and had new batteries put in both fobs and tried again. Still nothing and the same previous problems.
    Had the car towed to the Toyota dealer today. When I called to have it towed the guy said over the phone it might be the immobilizer (he said only about $1,000). Didn't hear anymore today. I have been reading your forum but haven't seemed to find the right answer. Frustrated! This my second Prius and I hope not my last.

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The little 12 volt AGM will sulphate quite quickly if allowed to die completely just once. Will then not hold a full charge very well hence the repeated jump starts.

Jump starting a Prius is its Achilles heal and very very dangerous. Many horror story's on this site of major damage to the car resulting from a jump start especially in a very discharged battery and being jumped by a racing engine donor car. It's the number one reason I believe people are driven to this site for help.

Hopefully its something not to expensive like a blown link in the fuse box or the fuse at the 12 volt battery. Alot have been Inverter destruction resulting in $4000+ bill.

Only advice I can give at this point is do not spend more than a $125 estimate fee at the dealer until you post the dealer results back here for more help. There's are cheaper ways to fix this issue than at the dealer.

Alot of reports say dealer was unable to pin point exact failure resulting in many unnecessary parts replaced in search of problem on the owners dime. Sounds like you are in that situation right now.

3. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Replace your remote batteries and check the health of your 12V battery in the rear.

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two