1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius has unusual door panels

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Josh Lyman, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Josh Lyman

Josh Lyman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm looking at buying a 2007-09 and came across a listing with these doors. I've never seen panels like that before. Maybe it in an accident and had nonstandard replacements, but I only have access to the free MyCarFax which doesn't show as many details as the full CarFax, and there's no indication of an accident.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've never seen that before. Looks like after market definitely not from an accident. Ask seller.

3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    They are most likely a dealer add-on or aftermarket door guards. They protect the door from dings when hit by other inconsiderate owner's car doors. Think about parking lot damage when someone swings a door open and it hits your car. Those rubber strips prevent paint damage/dents/scratches, etc.

4. bl817

bl817 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    most vehicles that have those started their life in the rental car business.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  5. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Rental car companies aren't known for spending money on any accessories at all when the car is in revenue service or turned around for resale.

This was somebody looking to do the "bubblewrap" treatment, paranoid of any scratch or blemish.

Plastic appliques like that are great for hiding rust, and also create new places for moisture to collect and start even more rust.

6. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    To be clear: those don't look like replacement door panels. They are most likely just body color-matched plastic strips which are attached to the door via double-sided tape (the use of tape is standard and common: some high-end body kits use double sided tape to attach some panels).

7. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In the UK, some Toyota dealers actually added strips like these to some of the vehicles they sold. do not know why, but I’ve seen similar strips on a few 2nd Gen Prii in the UK, often colour coded.

iPad ? Pro