1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius Headlight Replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by kylex, Oct 29, 2018.

1. kylex

kylex New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just head a headlight go out in a 2008 Prius I recently acquired.

It's my understanding that if I don't have factory fog lights as noted by the lack of that option on the headlight stick, then it's possible I have halogen bulbs rather than the more expensive HID variety. Is this always the case? I was going to pick up new halogen bulbs today, but I was curious if there would ever be a situation where you would have HID lights but not the fog lights. The lights themselves when on have an orange cast to them so I'm assuming they are halogen but I'm not much of an enthusiast/expert on this stuff. I would just prefer to have to go through the process of getting in there only once since from looking at youtube videos of how to do this, it looks like kind of a pain.

Thanks!

#1 kylex, Oct 29, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes if they are orange (and look like any other headlights from the 90s and 2000s), then they are halogens.

davecook89t likes this.
  3. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    1) It is recommended to always replace bulbs in pairs. Why? The other bulb will burn out sometime later. Also, you have probably noticed other car's headlights/brake lights/tail lights, that has a difference in brightness. This is due to the owner only having replaced the burned out bulb.

2) Just get the plain no, no frills, STANDARD halogen bulb. Why? The brighter bulbs (30%, 60%, 100%) achieve brightness by burning HOTTER, which shortens their life. A Standard bulb will live a longer live, b/c it does not burn as bright as the "brighter" bulbs. Your choice.
    Find Autmotive bulbs for your vehicle | Philips Automotive Bulb Lookup
    upload_2018-10-29_23-40-38.png

Halogen Headlight bulb replacement is a slight pain. It is best to remove the headlight assembly, as outlined in the factory service manual. Some people are able to partially remove the bumper cover, to access the bolts holding the headlight assembly. IMO, videos where people somehow get the bulb replaced w/o removing the headlight assembly, perpetuating a bad practice.
    1) More time consuming, IMO.
    2) These people may have had the new bulb come into contact, accidentally, w/ engine compartment contaminent (ie oil), due to the limited space; this will likely lead to a premature death of the new bulb.
    3) Potential to damage the rubber waterproof seal of the headlight bulb and assembly, due to the retention spring. You will see this and realize what I am talking about.
    You may want to buy a headlight lens restore kit, too. Makes a world of difference!

05PreeUs likes this.
  4. MichaelKnight

MichaelKnight Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1- Verify the bulb
    2- Go to dealer with vin#
    this will ensure you have the right bulb...