1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius Headlight Switch Knob Pop Off on Turn Signal Lever

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by TexasZ, Aug 14, 2022.

1. TexasZ

TexasZ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just had an odd thing happen during a drive when using the turn signal lever on left side of steering column.

The little black knob that controls the headlights at the end of the turn signal lever popped off. Found it and tried to fit it back on. Fits on but doesn't seat all of the way. There is a gap. The knob must be pushed in against some springs before the switch can be rotated. Headlights work fine so switch works fine.

I can't figure out how to put the knob back on so it will stay. Clearly loose and can fall off any time I rotate the headlight switch or move the turn signal lever.

I though perhaps something broke off inside the knob that keeps the knob tight against the switch housing.

Is this something that can be fixed without replacing the entire lever assembly? Looks like I could buy aftermarket from Autozone. Duralast SW8106 for about $80, but then would have to install.

Have attached some pics. Grateful for any help. tempImagec3pPST.png tempImagealXyy7.png tempImageEmJ1n0.png tempImageIRCe2C.png

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My mom back in her driving days would always swing real hard at the turn indicator before a turn. Seems like you and her have the same problem? :) And on the bright side if you just live with it being not fully attached you'll get real good at gently using it...

Or if you're serious about fixing it, head to a junk yard that allows you to remove your own parts and see how much of that control arm you need.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've sometimes had good results putting just, like, one layer of Plasti Dip on a stem like that, letting it dry, just to add enough thickness that the knob will then be a tighter fit on it.

I think I'd be looking at that L-shaped plastic piece left behind as the stem ... is that really the switch stem, or does it also pull off the real stem, like maybe it was originally part of the knob? If that turns out to be the case, maybe it could be reattached to the knob with ordinary glue, and then pushed back on. But I can't predict that, from here.

PriusCamper likes this.
  4. TexasZ

TexasZ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just checked the L-shaped plastic piece. It does NOT pull off the real stem but seems to be attached.

I like your idea of a layer of Plastic Dip on the stem to add some thickness making it harder to fall off. Planning to trade my Gen 2 in soon so trying to avoid additional "investment" having bought tires, replaced Hybrid batteries, replaced multi-function meter in dash, etc.

Open to any ideas out there, but like yours F Chapman!

P.S. Where would I buy Plasti Dip?

#4 TexasZ, Aug 14, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
  5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The retaining mechanism broke,
    Spend 15 bucks and buy a complete replacement on ebay, jeez
    Why jerry rig stuff?

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sometimes the jerry rigging gets you a completely satisfactory fix while saving not only your $15 but the whole wait-for-shipping and steering-wheel-and-airbag-removal business.