1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius- Help identify leak under car

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by BeoLurch, Aug 13, 2021.

1. BeoLurch

BeoLurch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Howdy,

2008 Toyota Prius- I went over a steep curb and bumped under the car. After that it started leaking... Trying to identify what is leaking. I believe it is the window wash fluid, but I'd like to confirm. Here's a video of the leak. (poor quality) if can't see the dripping it's a blue color and odorless. You'll notice at the start of the video it's leaking in two places: Behind the wheel (maybe line leading to back windshield) and in front of the wheel from the reservoir.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    tough to tell. any color? consistency? might just be a/c condensation.
    the only thing on the bottom is the oil pan, maybe coolant radiator, but i don't know if it is that low.

3. BeoLurch

BeoLurch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    water like consistency and blue color. started leaking more after using windshield wiper fluid on front and back windows...

I'm almost certain it's the windshield wiper fluid, but the reservoir that is leaking is located in front of the passenger side tire and to my knowledge the windshield wiper fluid reservoir is at the top passenger side right under the hood. Unless it reaches down that far?

AC is currently not working, so I don't think it's AC condensation.

4. BeoLurch

BeoLurch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is the leaking reservoir in front of the front passenger side tire.

Attached Files:

5. BeoLurch

BeoLurch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is under the leaking reservoir.

Attached Files:

#4 BeoLurch, Aug 13, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
  6. BeoLurch

BeoLurch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    UPDATE- Just realized that is the air intake resonator, which is supposed to be empty. That is not where the leak is coming from... The leak is actually coming from the hole that the top of the air intake resonator goes through. I drew a circle in the picture where the leak is coming from.

Attached Files:

7. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, was just about to comment that... Because you've confirmed its windshield washer fluid and because the reservoir is up high and out of harms way (but maybe not in this case) from road debris it seems that next step is to trace the line that goes back to the rear washer outlet as that's likely what has failed. And because that's a relatively non-essential function you could simply clamp the hose prior to the leak and forget about it, unless the reservoir is damaged.

SFO and BeoLurch like this.