1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius hit curb pretty hard, wheel/suspension damage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by InMooseWeTrust, Jul 20, 2015.

1. InMooseWeTrust

InMooseWeTrust New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That happened. At first, I thought I just broke my wheel and busted my tire. I went to a body shop nearby and paid to get a new wheel and tire. It was driving like shit so I went to Sears Auto to get an alignment. I work as a delivery driver and I have a 3 year unlimited alignments deal with them. They said they couldn't align because the suspension was damaged on the front right side. I need a new lower control arm, ball joint, and possibly a sway bar end link (they're not sure yet).

Sears Auto estimates the parts and repair combined to be around $700. The body shop where I got the wheel is estimating over $300 for parts and $260 for labor. I don't know them too well but they have good reviews.

I already spent almost $400 getting a new wheel and tire. How do I go about filing an insurance claim with State Farm? I don't know anything about cars, and I'm not sure I'll get the full amount since I already did some work on it (the replaced wheel).

I'm thinking about getting a check and going somewhere on my own. I know I can buy the parts online, but any way I can save more money? Insurance is the one thing here I don't know much about.

Rough estimate of internet prices:
    Control arm: $60
    Ball joint: $40
    Sway bar end link: $20? unsure

#1 InMooseWeTrust, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just submit a damage claim

3. InMooseWeTrust

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a $500 deductible. Will I have to pay another $500 out of pocket since I already replaced the wheel?

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If your total damage is under $1000, I would not file a claim with a $500 deductible. That would just increase your future premiums. Just have to suck it up and repair it.

Get a 2nd opinion on the Sear's damage report. They might be pulling your leg to get money

5. InMooseWeTrust

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I told Sears I have full coverage and they said they want to do a more thorough repair estimate, which I made an appointment for. I just recently filed a claim for $2300 (they paid $1800) because of a deer I hit in late May. I'm in one of those situations where I have no idea what to do. The car loan company mandates comprehensive coverage with $500 deductible. I drove for almost 10k miles already.

I know a shop that will do the repairs for a bit cheaper than these two estimates but I just don't know what to do. I had a really bad day, and now everything is going to hell.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's unfortunate the Body Shop didn't think to tell you the car looked damaged beyond the wheel and tire. But faced with where you're at now, I would call your insurance company and ask them the following:

1. Will the claim on hitting the dear a couple months ago affect your future insurance rates?
    2. That now you got into a problem of hitting a large gigantic pot hole and the suspension is damaged and needs repair. How will this affect future insurance rates if you put in a claim for that?

7. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    save the receipt for the wheel and tire, show them to the insurance adjuster and explain you had to do them right away just to drive. they should be willing to include them in the claim. get 3 estimates on the suspension repair and show the highest one to the insurance adjuster.

8. InMooseWeTrust

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Highest won't be hard to do. There's a Toyota dealership nearby.

The worst part of this is I live a half hour away and I don't have a ride. I can drive there but it will strip the new tire I just bought, which sucks but I might have to. I'm staying with my friends right now and I can't just stay here forever. I need to go home, get clean clothes, etc.. I explained the entire situation to my claims representative and she said to give them the receipt for the work I had done already and get the rest of the repairs done at the place they recommended (Toyota dealership). She didn't say whether or not the wheel replacement would count.

#8 InMooseWeTrust, Jul 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    would it strip a spare tire? which is smaller in size than the regular tire?

10. InMooseWeTrust

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes. I have to drive up a mountain through a highway so using the spare is a bad idea.

11. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Your going to need an alignment as well.

12. InMooseWeTrust

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 3 year agreement with Sears Auto so the alignment is covered for free. Is it hard to replace the control arm and ball joint? They're asking over $300 for labor but looking at guides online, it looks like I can do it in the backyard with a few wrenches. I'm assuming the second gen doesn't have an underbody panel that needs to be removed?

I can get the exact same brands that they're thinking about using for about half the price online, shipped in less than a week. If I can save money on labor, I should be all set.

13. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    well just make sure you have all the right tools and possibly a torque wrench so you know how tight to get it. You wouldn't want to save a few bucks and have your front end come off while you drive.

14. InMooseWeTrust

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Have you done any suspension repairs before? Is it really as easy as it looks from the DIY guides?

15. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's just a suggestion and no I don't do anything that requires me to lift the car off the ground. I have a mechanic that does that stuff

16. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Easy....
    You Don't.

Or....at least I wouldn't.

1. You have to come out of pocket for the deductible.

2. Your insurance will almost certainly go up, and you'll wind up paying the insurance company back for the claim with interest.

3. People don't write things down any more. They generate records in the cloud. This incident will be on your record forever. Sure.....they "say" they only go back 5 years...... :rolleyes:

4. People don't write things down any more. They generate records in the cloud. Insurance companies drop people who file claims. If this is the first one? You're probably cool, but what if an insured motorist hits you next week, and you get broken into the week after that?
    Ask your insurance company how much they charge people who got dropped by their last insurance company.

5. People don't write things down any more. They generate records in the cloud. Just in case you ever go to sell your car, it will have a damage claim in its pedigree. Yeah......I know you're going to tell whoever buys the car about the minor suspension damage.... ;) but remember......having a wreck is like having a social disease.
    There are no minor social diseases......there are no 'minor' wrecks. If your car has an insurance claim in it's CARFAX report? It's been wrecked. I'll buy a car whose owner admits to a curb strike.
    I won't buy a previously wrecked car.

Smart money says you pay for insurance to cover you for losses that you cannot afford.
    Since you've been "presumably" cash flowing this incident, I'm thinking that it's not an unaffordable loss.

I keep 1,000 dollar deductibles and don't file.
    Your car.
    Your call.

17. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    oh CARFAX.....yeah that's a no no reported on there

18. InMooseWeTrust

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm not selling. It has 96k miles and I'll use it until it dies. I drive about 4k miles a month because of my job. I'm lucky there isn't much business this month so I can cover my losses next month.

19. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good to hear.

Start a repair fund and up your deductible to $1000.
    In a few years you can eliminate comp and collision and then you'll have cheap insurance and cheap transportation!!

Good Luck!

20. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    replacing the control arm isn't difficult, and especially since you can watch someone else doing it on youtube. if you have all the right size metric wrenches and sockets, jack stands and a cheater bar, you can do it in an afternoon. just make sure you get all the bolts tight, and when you go for your alignment, mention that you replaced it and could the tech take a look at it and make sure its all tight.