1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 prius: How long do the front struts last on the prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ski.dive, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Apparently. Champion Toyota had shipped me the following part numbers: 48510-49495 and 48520-49585.

Note that these "top-level" part numbers are not the same as the part numbers marked on the strut body. I suppose this is because the strut is shipped with a new top nut?

2. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I hope Tokico starts making replacements for the Prius. I used them on my Accord and 240 and liked them. I was less favorably impressed with the KYB's that were originally on the 240.

3. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I used to get 80K+ on even the Geos. Longest-lasting one went 137K before I broke the engine. 3-cylinders and I worked OK together up to a point. Averaged over 20K per year back then, not the 10K I managed to squeak in this past August-to-August.

Some of those cars didn't last all that long but I'm reading here about 60K strut replacement so I'm way past that and nervous...

4. LeviSmith

LeviSmith Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I don't have any reason to think the Prius is any better or worse than other cars. And if you were driving on 3 cylinders then you could drive on worn struts for a long time IF they act up. And worst case? Change them. :)

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have 110k miles and the front struts and rear shock absorbers are still working. I did inspect them and did not find any leak.

I will be replacing them with Tanabe Sustec Pro from Japan. They don't have it available in US for the Iconic models.

6. cdltpx

cdltpx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Prius drivers tend to be a bit conservative in driving style so they will not be as quick to notice handling problems I drive the SMITH system (look it up it is real) I look for what will slow my roll rather than hammer down on the other cars bumper. Our warning signs were bottoming out on speed bump, the traction computer kicking in when normally you would not see such a thing mostly when on slick roads it caused me to have to be very careful when decelerating traction would break just as nearing a stop . We have (steel belt showing) tire damage due to the suspension so that was another $100 expense. The final was when I had 2 passengers in the car and the car was riding very low. It was then I suspended driving the car until we repair the suspension currently seeking the location to repair it. Pep boys want $1'1K said to take 4 hours. I am a former trucker I noticed ride issue 80K miles took it to midas they said we did not need the repairs. Now at 113K miles there is no denying we need the repair. We have the money for it so it is just an expense if we did not have the money then we would have a problem. If this were any other car I would probably not bother to repair (sell it) since they were nothing special but you compare a prius to a 20 mpg car and you see the true savings. I have calculated that ~100K miles saves you $10K in fuel. Do this just 2ooK miles and the car pays for itself 100% roll that puppy to 300K miles and you got yourself a profit for driving this ride. They can laugh all they want while they are tailgating and wondering why you are not as aggressive as they are. The place where a prius owner is aggressive is in the savings. IDK about you but you hand somebody $100 they act like you did something imagine their surprize if you handed them $30K. Some people can buy something they can live in with that sort of money.

N.J.PRIUS likes this.