1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius HV battery ailing at 360000km

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mr Mik, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Mr Mik

Mr Mik Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

my 2008 Prius has been a delight to drive, with minimal maintenance required since I bought it used with about 113000km on the clock. Now it has done 360000km.

Yesterday I have had the first 'Replace HV Battery' Triangle of Doom ( P0A80 - Powertrain )

Torque Pro shows me that HVB02 has almost always the lowest voltage and it's voltage drops to 1.2V less than the rest under heavy acceleration. So there is either a dying cell or a severely imbalanced cell in that Block 02. And it needs some attention to prevent it from deteriorating rapidly.

I have extensive, but very rusty experience from keeping several NHW10's going for years, I miss the Turtle when this happens. But I'm not looking forward to repeating the all-consuming task of nursing a failing battery pack for years.

What I also miss is the ability of the NHW10 to perform a forced trickle charge by putting the car in 'D' and then keep a foot on the break and the other foot on the gas pedal, fully down. It does seem to charge the battery to 84% SOC maximum in the NHW20, but no further.

I know that regular 0.6A trickle charges might keep the HV battery going for a long time, and at 360000km I might get away without replacing anything before the car is uneconomical to maintain.

My questions are these:

Is there a way to make the NHW20 perform an in-built overcharge of the HV battery, with or without Torque Pro, like the NHW10 could do?

What thread on this forum has already discussed very similar issues? I can't seem to find one.

What thread on this forum is a good read for learning how to access the HV battery just enough to attach a trickle charger and possibly drive the 12V cooling fan? I have built a charger for the NHW10 which measures the thermistor-like sensors on each cell and powers the cooling fan and disconnects when cell temperature rises. It shows voltage and current and is relatively safe, using an isolating transformer as the first stage. I could quite easily change the motor drive capacitor of the charger to achieve about 0.6A current desired for a trickle charge of the smaller NHW20 battery.

Thanks for any help with this!

Mik

SFO likes this.
  2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not that I'm aware of, but it would be great if that were possible.
    Not sure if there is a thread for that (maybe you could start one?), though this link could help : 2004 – 2009 Toyota Prius Plug-and-Play Car Harness Installation Instructions | Hybrid Automotive

Mr Mik and bisco like this.
  3. Mr Mik

Mr Mik Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you very much, that's exactly what I needed!

SFO likes this.
  4. Mr Mik

Mr Mik Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The cell in Block 02 deteriorated rapidly, almost constantly at zero V or even reversing a bit.

After reading a few posts here I decided to buy a new battery from Toyota and I just brought it home.
    AUD2477.12 without installation. Toyota want AUD600 for installation, the warranty is 2 years on the part no matter if they install it or someone else. So I'll do it myself, looks like an easy AUD600,- to be saved.

I stood the battery box on one of it's small sides for about 10-20 seconds, can that cause problems with electrolyte spilling?

What do others think about keeping and repairing the old battery vs getting the AUD500 refund from Toyota? I have 5 Toyota battery modules with silver sides, which I bought used maybe 10 years ago. They may or may not be a reasonable match for the failed module in the old HV battery.

fotomoto likes this.
  5. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That battery and box will be fine, everything is sealed. And those 10 year old modules, can't wait to see if they come back to life again.

Maybe one of your neighbors @Phildo has some input on keeping the core or returning for the AUD, thought battery has a few Kms on it.

Raytheeagle and Mr Mik like this.
  6. Mr Mik

Mr Mik Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks SFO!
    I'm trying to work out if this is actually the correct battery.

Attached Files:

#6 Mr Mik, Jul 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  7. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The OEM replacement isn't plug and play, there are parts to move/transfer over. Which part # did you order?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. Mr Mik

Mr Mik Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had a closer look side by side and I think it is the correct battery. But as you say, it needs to be taken apart and assembles, some parts (cables) came with the new battery, many other parts need to be transferred from the old to the new battery (vents, air baffles, electronics).
    I did not order a part number, i just told them I need a new battery for my car and they looked up the car using the registration number..

9. Mr Mik

Mr Mik Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have installed the new battery and the car is running again.
    The old battery has a lot of 'stuff' built up on the bus plates, I'm not sure I want to do anything with it, other than get AUD 500 from Toyota.
    Why do Toyota pay AUD500 for the old batteries? I read somewhere that it is because they want to re-use the electronics, but once a new OEM battery has been made usable by transferring the needed parts from the old battery, there are no valuable parts left on the old battery. None that I can see, anyway.

What are the 2 openings with 'filter' material on the intake cooling air duct good for? The main intake from the cabin (on the side of the rear seat) has no filter, but there are 2 holes (with some non-woven fabric covering them) hidden behind the trim panels.

Attached Files:

10. Phildo

Phildo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Mr Mik: Which city/town are you in? I'm in Perth.

If you've bought a new battery from Toyota then it should last for years, so there's not much use in keeping the old one.

Make sure that you've cleaned the battery blower fan.

Ideally, you would replace Toyota's copper busbars with nickel-plated ones, and use stainless steel nuts (ie to stop corrosion).

Of course, before you return the old one someone who rebuilds batteries would love to get their hands on it so that they can fill it with confirmed dead modules and keep the ones that are currently in there (most of which will be ok to reuse).

Toyota pays the $500 when you buy a new battery. I have heard of Toyota dealers paying $100 for hybrid batteries without a prior purchase (ie taxi workshops usually have a bunch of them sitting around).

The Toyota dealerships are keen to get back the old casing so that they can clean it and reuse it for the next customer.

A workshop near me had 11 used batteries that they were going to sell to a Toyota dealer... needless to say, I've bought them myself. If I can find a Toyota dealership that will pay for them them I'll swap out all the modules for dead ones and get my $1,100 back.

11. Phildo

Phildo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Looks like it... on the Prius battery there's the ECU and other stuff on the end, but it looks like you've got to unbolt that section from the old battery and transfer it over (not particularly difficult).

However, the original 20-series battery covers that I've got here are all G9280-47100 and 9280-47110.

12. Mr Mik

Mr Mik Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It was the correct battery and the car runs well with it. Remains to be seen if the oil consumption reduces (as others have reported).
    I sent the old battery back to Toyota, I just don't have the time to work on it at the moment. I did too much of that when no replacements for the NHW10 were available, kept it running for years, but for AUD1977.12 and a few hours work (the 2nd time will be much faster now that I know how) it's not worth it for me right now.
    I'm on the East side of Oz, so shipping it to Perth would not be a good option.

Aaron Vitolins likes this.