1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius HV battery dead?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PatJenn, Nov 16, 2017.

1. PatJenn

PatJenn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    My daughter has a 2008 Prius that was stored in our garage for two years while she was on a Peace Corps assignment. We tried to start it before she came home and we cannot get the gas engine to start. We replaced the 12v battery. When I try to start it, the lights and displays turn on, but the car will not go into gear. There is a parking brake warning on the display and nothing starts. Her bf did some research and thinks that the High Voltage battery may be drained.
    Is it possible that the HV battery is dead and is it possible to charge it enough to start the car? If it takes some specialized knowhow and equipment, does anyone know anyone in Northern Wisconsin or Northern Michigan who is good at this sort of thing?
    We did take it to the local Toyota dealer and they are not returning our phone calls, so we suspect that they do not know what they are doing and/or are trying to figure out how to charge us a lot of money for parts that we do not need.
    Thanks for your help
    Pat

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    @ericbecky it probably is the hybrid battery.

3. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Pat,
    Yes, sitting for so long can be hard on a Prius.
    I have brought many Prius back fro the dead over the years.
    Definitely takes some knowledge and finesse.
    Not a straightforward "follow the tree diagram" situation.

I have sort of a standard protocol for these fun challenges.
    Often requires some specialty equipment (like a High Voltage charger), but not always.
    Even once it is started I would want to check out the state of health of the pack and probably do a series of charge/discharges to balance the pack.

Although my shop is in Madison, Wisconsin I do a fair amount of mobile service.
    I have come to the Northwoods and done service for folks in the UP before (Iron River). Really pretty up there!

Feel free to call me and we can talk through some ideas.

m.wynn and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    How long have they had it ?

It may take them a while, especially if they have little experience with total failures like that.

If it has been a week or more, show up in person and insist on speaking to the agency owner or manager; NOT the service manager.

5. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I might have another customer to visit up there if you want to split the travel fee?

6. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Dealer didn't return the OP's calls, but then the OP doesn't provide follow up either?
    Another case of someone coming on here, asking advice from the community, we reply, but then we never hear from the OP again.

Maybe the wolves ate the OP?
    Aliens?
    Bigfoot?