1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius Hymotion L5 Plug-in conversion kit

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by TOMZAS, Aug 9, 2014.

1. TOMZAS

TOMZAS New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had recently acquired Hymotion L5 plug-in conversion kit which came from 2008 government Prius with 40K miles.Pack is in working condition. At its original 10K price tag it was economically not worthy since pack price would take over 20 years to recoup investment,but at 2500 $ my asking price it is definitely worthy consideration.Pack is charged by regular 120V outlet in 8 hours and has 30-40 mile range depending on terrain and driving style,after which it goes to regular hybrid mode.Installation available in Florida,other vice I have wiring diagrams and photos for installation.There are few Hymotion service centers trough out US and Canada.Here is good and ugly about this pack on Edmunds to make your own opinion: Consumer Reports: Prius Plug-In Kit Gets Nowhere Near Maker's 100+ MPG Claim - AutoObserver
    All interested can email me @ [email protected]

2. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    So you have it up for sale?

3. JBumps

JBumps Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Any insight as to compatibility with the Prius Plug-In?

Given the different chemistry of the PiP pack, I was curious how "plug and play" it might be for a PiP owner, if compatible at all.

Any EE members have some thoughts they'd like to share?

4. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    #4 vvillovv, Aug 9, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  5. TOMZAS

TOMZAS New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'd say I'm out of my depth here,since it's my first encounter with this boost pack,I assume devil is in the connecting it to battery ECU and Hybrid control ECU and see if any error codes start to pop up,but design of III GEN plug-in may be miles apart from GEN II or even regular GEN III. I hope someone with more insight would try to go where non have been.

6. wb9k

wb9k 09 Gen II Prius w Hymotion Plug-In Batt

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you want to install this, you will need a harness as well as a few other pieces of hardware. You can buy an install kit (which contains everything needed except the pack itself) from Sybesma's Electronics. The installation manual and other documents are available right here on this forum. It should take you less than minutes to find.

I don't have a problem with people selling Hymotion packs, but I do have a problem with people who don't know what they've got trying to sell them. Please figure out what you're doing before just handing this thing off to somebody else who may well manage to kill themselves with it. It's not that hard to manage these things safely, but blind prodding is a recipe for disaster.

BTW, I got over 100 mpg on my last tankful....1072 miles from about 10.5 gallons of gas. The numbers are achievable in warm weather, but you have to drive the car properly. Unfortunately, most drivers are not willing to pony up the requisite amount of intellectual attention to pull this off...so they blame the car.

Best of luck.

7. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So I think you are saying is

For Sale - USED Hymotion system parts
    - $2,500
    - missing important components such as the harness to actually connect it to the car
    - more than 5 years old
    - unknown condition
    - untested in any way
    - does not have any warranty
    Do you still have access to the 2008 Prius it came out of? You may want to retrieve the other parts.

Service?
    There are not official Hymotion service centers.
    The Hymotion project is essentially dead.
    There are a few (less than 5) independent shops who might be able to help you. They are businesses and charge and hourly rate.

Will it work on the PIP?
    While theoretically someone could reverse engineer the proprietary CAN bus messages it has never been done.
    You would need lots of experience sniffing and decoding CAN packages.

xpcman likes this.
  8. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  9. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So many things I could cover here...
    How long did it sit unused?
    How will it even get charged?
    Is it going to be correctly balanced before it is installed?
    Sybesma is trying hard to not sell directly to consumers. How is a harness/installation kit going to be obtained? I could sell him when but never got the call.
    This is an orphaned kit. Who is going to supply service when there are problems in the future?

This kind of thing frustrates me when I see it. It has the potential to leave a bad taste in a customers mouth about PHEV's in general.

dave77 likes this.
  10. wb9k

wb9k 09 Gen II Prius w Hymotion Plug-In Batt

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Exactly. Interesting that a guy who's out of his depth will install it for you. Probably drop it in the spare tire well and call it a day. Enjoy!

11. DaneH5

DaneH5 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    #11 DaneH5, Sep 21, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  12. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think you are not being completely honest in your description. I would look it as a lie of omission.

You fail to mention that it Does Not Include The Harness to
    actually connect it to a vehicle!

As I mentioned in this other thread, the harness is an additional $560.
    Hymotion Harness | PriusChat

dave77 likes this.
  13. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    is he still trying to unload this thing?
    he is one of these fools that install USED cells(2 max then charges extra) in your battery pack for $500 and sends you on your way..his ads are all over craigslist here in florida..Id rather do it myself with cells off e bay for $40