1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius ICE wont start, no spark ? P3190 help please

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by BruceLewis, Aug 13, 2021.

1. BruceLewis

BruceLewis New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok, here are the details, 08 Prius, I clean the PCV, new Plugs, cleaned and tested MAS, cleaned throttle body, no red triangle of death, check engine and yellow exclamation, Code is P3190, it goes into ready and try to start, and it sounds like it does, but it's hard to tell if it's just the cranking process, as you know if the engine doesn't start after two ready commands, the computer stops asking to protect HV Battery from being burnt out.
    So, you have to reset codes every time that cycles, I still have to check the obvious, timing chain broken ? and cam and crankshaft sensors, the oil level is perfect, I believe there is no spark after I pull them out, they are wet and smell like gas but I don't see ignition. So I feel it could be the ECM, but how often does that happen, thanks in advance for all that assist.

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you disconnect the 12 V battery after the MAFS/throttle body was cleaned?

If the learned position for the throttle plate was too far from the default, it can cause problems starting after cleaning. Disconnecting the battery will reset everything to the defaults and it will relearn from there.

PriusCamper and SFO like this.
  3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Have you tried driving it when it's in READY mode? Was the car running before you did all this work?

PriusCamper likes this.
  4. BruceLewis

BruceLewis New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, I sure did, thanks very much, I discovered that there is a pool of fluid, looks like oil in the intake manifold,
    I wonder if that could prevent it from starting?

Hello, No car was not running, it goes into the ready mode, and cranks the engine, but can't really tell if its running or just cranking, I have TIS but I am new to it, got the car in Haiti Miami, no real history, just trying to save it from junkyard, I got some fluid in the intake manifold
    I have heard that could be an issue the car was overfilled with oil when i check it, I have drained, but I didn't know it was so critical
    to have an exact oil level with these cars, I will recheck again before I clean the manifold.

#4 BruceLewis, Aug 15, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2021