1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 prius information

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by depke, Aug 28, 2007.

1. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skanDALE @ Sep 13 2007, 10:45 AM) [snapback]511916[/snapback]</div>
    I have tried your VIN on several decoders and they all came back "invalid"!.
    However, here is the page that helps you decode a VIN number.
    #10 digit is the model year as said in previous post by other.
    http://www.autocheck.com/consumers/car-fac...e-vin-decode.do
    In your case, the model year digit is '0' which is invalid. It should be '8'.
    VIN is from manufacturers. I don't think Norway, as a country, use a different VIN system.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    At least you know his car has side airbags lol.

3. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    At least you know his car has side airbags lol.

4. skandale

skandale Member

The strange thing is that I got that VIN from a print-out of the dealers system, so it should be correct.
    And I agree ceric, a country of 4.3 million people won't make Toyota create customized VINs.

Yep, Tideland, the car has all the airbags and the VCS+ system. Those are standard on the Prii sold in Norway.

I'll send a mail to my dealer and tell him Toyota is sending me a car with a bogus VIN... B)

-Stein

5. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I saw a new Prius color on the Toyota website -- Spectra Blue. Has anybody seen this in person? Has anybody ordered it?

6. Sonny Jim

Sonny Jim New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Sep 14 2007, 05:56 AM) [snapback]512451[/snapback]</div>
    http://www.google.com/custom?hl=en&saf...h=priuschat.com

:rolleyes:

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skanDALE @ Sep 13 2007, 11:47 PM) [snapback]512390[/snapback]</div>
    That's why you don't post VINs lol. People can tell a lot about the car just by those numbers. (like how I knew you had side airbags).

8. jonjonbear

jonjonbear New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    2008 models on the ground in Texas!
    We were at Champion Toyota in Austin yesterday to visit with our salesman and check up on our order and they were delivering two 2008's. What caught my attention was the lower EPA listed so I walked over and looked. Also noticed the ECOnomic savings was listed on the window sticker of 600.00. These were lower package cars I think. Was very exciting to see the new ones are here....

John

9. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  10. skandale

skandale Member

I just spoke to my dealer regarding my rather strange VIN (year indicator being 0).

He had checked with other people at the dealer, and they said that in Europe, only Germany uses that indicator. He had done a quick check of the other Toyotas at their lot, and all of them had a 0 in the 10th position. But he would continue to investigate the issue.

And he said that my car still has an ETA on Friday 21st. Then they'll do all the normal pre-delivery work on it and install the alarm I ordered. I guess I'll get the car next Tuesday or Wednesday.

-Stein

UPDATE:
    I just spoke to Toyota Norway. They say that Toyota does not have year models (like "the 2008 model). The woman I had a chatted with didn't seem to understand the concept of being able to "name" for instance a face-lifted version. So what I'll get is a Toyota Prius. Period!
    Does anyone know any telltale signs to distinguish a 2007 from a 2008?

11. PKT

PKT New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lefat1 @ Sep 12 2007, 05:27 PM) [snapback]511559[/snapback]</div>
    Here in S.Florida sticker seems to be the price you only seem to be able to negotiate trade in value and whether or not to pay dealer prep.
    I'm wanting the touring model with package 5 which seems popular as no 08's have shown up here so far.
    Are you saying around XMAS that all or most packages will be sitting on lots with dealers willing to haggle,
    if that is the case I can wait for Santa. :D

12. deanstevenson

deanstevenson Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonjonbear @ Sep 13 2007, 07:55 AM) [snapback]511855[/snapback]</div>
    What was the eye opening experience? Not pleased with the TDI?

13. jonjonbear

jonjonbear New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(deanstevenson @ Sep 17 2007, 10:00 AM) [snapback]513690[/snapback]</div>
    Not at all..
    The car is nice..Actually nicer than the Prius when it comes to "bells and whistles" but the darn car costs an arm and a leg to maintain. Really defeats the purpose of having a miser car. We had the 40K service done and it was almost 800.00 because the car has the new "DSG" auto shifting standard transmission and it requires service every 40K at a cost of 300-400.
    The car broke down in Santa Fe when we were on vacation and we had to drive a rental car back to Texas and it took them almost two months. The car was misdiagnosed the first time and got a very expensive transmission part it didn't need. Then they ordered an EGR valve that was not available anywhere in the US. They would tell me the part would be here on X day and the part would never arrive. I ended up calling my local dealer which told me they ordered the wrong part so I had to call them and give them the correct part. This was the straw that broke the camels back you could say..Every time we have had to take the car to the dealer is a traumatic experience and I know cars very well..VW is horrible at service and customer service..Sad too as they are really nice cars..

John

14. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PKT @ Sep 17 2007, 07:10 AM) [snapback]513602[/snapback]</div>
    whatever u decide, be afraid of palm bch toyota..went elsewhere cause i was tired of waiting and all the usual bs, got touring package 6 at $1000 over invoice...with all the dealer add ons like destination chg, admin. fee, tax, tag.......$30, 225 OTD

15. PKT

PKT New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lefat1 @ Sep 17 2007, 11:19 AM) [snapback]513703[/snapback]</div>
    Lefat1 Thanks for the advice. Did you buy local?

16. gmlawrence

gmlawrence New Member

Man it is a small world.

I live in Georgetown work in Austin. My mother-in-law owns rental property in Smithville and she used to work in Bastrop years ago.

I got a Magnetic Gray in 2007 at Classic in RR. I loved our salesman and so far they have been very nice to us. Especially since we had such a hard time with the Premier Mazda dealership. We had to trade in my hubbie's Miata for the Prius because it was 2 years old and Mazda could not fix it. We gave up after dealing with the crappy dealership and corp. So we got a Prius :) I have been happier.

I hope to see your shiny new 2008 around town soon.....

17. wiiprii

wiiprii New Member

Yep, there are more a more Prii around here too. My wife and I see so many when we're driving around. I say "there sure are a lot of smart people around here".

My wife was in Japan recently visiting her family, and only saw two Prii while there, one was being towed. I told her it probably ran out of gas!

18. jonjonbear

jonjonbear New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gmlawrence @ Sep 17 2007, 02:01 PM) [snapback]513838[/snapback]</div>
    Howdy neighbor!
    Eeek..You had a Miata and had troubles? I have one too..A 1999 LS I bought in March as a play car..Driving it everyday from Bastrop to Austin(work at UT)
    for work until the new car gets here..I am not liking driving a stick in Austin traffic! :eek:
    But it gets better gas mileage than the silverado..

Sounds like your experience with Mazda was like ours with VW..
    John

19. jonfeldman

jonfeldman New Member

I took delivery of my '08 last week. It looks, smells, acts and is the same as the '07. Built on 08/07 and I'm in San Francisco...

20. deanstevenson

deanstevenson Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonjonbear @ Sep 17 2007, 10:14 AM) [snapback]513700[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you for taking the time to explain. I had an 02 Audi A4 Avant and I had a very similar experience to yours. They repeatedly couldn't diagnose or misdiagnosed a problem and I was the one that finally drove them to the resolution. It was frustrating. Sold the Audi and I purchased a 96 Miata with 80k miles on it and I've had not one single problem in the past two years.

My wife and I have considered getting a Prius and a TDI with the Prius in the lead for reliability and the TDI in the game due to it's awesome torque and nice interior. Unfortunately, the cost of the Prius is still a bit high and the reliability issues with VW have us sitting on the sidelines making due with our family hauler for now. We're watching how supply/demand is for the 08's (currently shows no signs of slowing) and what Honda comes out with for their dedicated hybrid.