1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius NAV - Question On 2011 Update Disc

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by anti-gas, Oct 3, 2011.

1. anti-gas

anti-gas Reduce, Reuse and Conserve

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I own a 2008 Prius with factory Navigation. Does anyone know of any place to purchase the update DVD for a reasonable price? The Toyota Dealer's price of $200 is unreasonable in my opinion. I was even considering purchasing a used disc that is newer than what I have but not necessarily the latest version. Thanks for your input. I know the new update disc comes out tomorrow with Toyota for the 2012 year. If anyone has the 2011 disc that they are willing to sell, I'm interested if I can't get the latest one. Thanks in advance.

2. fgoodyear

fgoodyear New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I own a 2007. Same as anti-gas, would like an update, but Toyota wants way too much. I would take a used disc also.

3. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure if a Gen III NAV disc will work in the Gen II.

4. arlingtonprius

arlingtonprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We are in the same situation, with a 2008 factory navigation package, and very reluctant to pay 200 for an update. Hopefully, someone can offer an alternative.

5. Rere1967

Rere1967 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Well, I am in the same situation too! If anyone finds one, please let me know. Maybe we can pass it around or work something out.

6. Graz

Graz Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Has anyone ever tried to copy one of these dvd's to see if they can be duplicated?

7. 2Nutz

2Nutz New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are a couple of postings on the local Craigslist indicating some kind of software override to bypass the "No Input When Moving" on newer disks. I'm sure these are hacked disks, Not factory OEM. They even show it applied to the 2010 & 2011 Gen 5 data disks. Any ideas ?

Oh ya, they are listed for $70 give or take.

:confused:

8. fgoodyear

fgoodyear New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Heard of a lot of trouble with copied disks, mostly that they won't work at all. I am in the same boat, need an updated disk. Anybody out there that has a much newer than 2007 disk, I am interested also.

9. destro23

destro23 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    i want to get my cousin an upgrade to his NAV... anyone have a specific disc part number? he also has a 2008 Prius and would like the latest update dvd

what works with this year?

10. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The Gen II has a Gen 5 Nav unit. The Gen III has a Gen 6 Nav unit. A Gen III DVD will not work in a Gen II and vice versa.

I am not sure what model years are included in the Gen II Nav units for the Gen 5.

The dealer can let you know. The dealer just needs to know your model year and should be able to determine the correct 11.1 DVD needed for your car.

11. LIPriusFreak

LIPriusFreak Can I haz JDM?

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    copied disks won't work on 2006+ prius.....been there done that

gotta pay to play..lucky for me I got a year old disk for $60 on ebay

12. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The cost of upgrading the Gen II nav is an ongoing issue, and a confusing
    one at that.

I'd like to update my '08MY nav, but other than buying an OEM disk for
    ~$200 from Mother Toyota, the alternative seems too cumbersome, time
    consuming and iffy to attempt. YMMV ;)

Here is the most recent thread that seems to have up-to-date, and
    relevant info:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...6895-upgrading-nav-dvd-my-2006-gen-5-nav.html

13. destro23

destro23 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    thanks i'll just call dealership and ask... and i'll post part# and cost when he gives it to me.

UPDATE:

86271-gen05-11 is the part number and $199.00 at local dealer

Also... final answer is that Gen5 Nav system will NOT/NEVER work with backup copies... Gen 6 Does..

Anyone selling gen 5 10.1 dvd? OEM of course

14. kornkob

kornkob New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I'm taking delivery of a 2009 Prius shortly but my best friend has a newly purchased 2011. And another friend has a 2010.

best friend copied his disc using a disc duplicator-- the kind of duplicator that does not software transformation at all, it does a straight bit to bit direct copy of a disc.

He took this disc and ejected his legit disc and replaces it with his dupe. it worked for a week.

When he passed it to my friend with the 2010, he was unable to get the dupe to work.

Now this is a single point of data. And no additional troubleshooting. So there's limited value in the data (even if you take my word for it).

However if you take my word for it, all parties involved are highly skilled IT professionals with significant troubleshooting skills---- these aren't problem solving neophytes. And the tools and media used are high quality, not Office Mart specials. Machines and media used were used for professional software development on multimillion dollar products (products you probably have seen commercials for).

15. dariard

dariard New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can purchase the CDs on ebay for much less than the dealer price. I just bought one for $139.