1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius need codes pulled Red Triangle with ! Pinckney Michigan

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Zrman, Oct 7, 2022.

1. Zrman

Zrman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My 2008 Prius has a check engine light and was driving fine. Had MFD removed to replace. I had a 72 mile trip to get new MFD 40 miles into my trip Red triangle light came on, stopped in at a Toyota dealership, mechanic said everything seemed to be working as the check engine light has had a
    P1121 is a 3 way coolant control valve , so I drove it slow made it home, ordering the control valve today. Prety sure the red triangle is something else. I don’t have any diagnostic tools to pull codes for red triangle with! I just bought the car last week. 86k miles.

2. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hello and welcome to PriusChat!

Usually the "Master Warning Light" (red triangle of death) is accompanied by other amber warning lights for the braking system. This alerts the driver to possible problems with the brakes and/or the hybrid drive system.

I don't know of the MWL coming on "just" because a check engine light is on. There are two things I do know that will turn on the MWL without any codes. One is that the driver's door is open when the car is "ready" and in gear (there's also a message on the MFD to "shift into park as the car won't charge the HV battery in neutral"). The second is if engine oil pressure is "low" - there would be a red "oil can" icon on the MFD (have YOU checked your oil level?)

FYI, your first 5 posts are moderated.

Here's a thread about different OBD2 apps and devices for your smartphone that let you scan codes and data from Gen2 Prius ecu's.
    https://priuschat.com/index.php?threads/232741/

Another option is to get a copy of Techstream- Toyota's pc diagnostic software plus a communication cable to connect to the car. Use the search function- lots of info about this.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. Zrman

Zrman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes oil was topped off, it was so clean it was difficult to read the stick. I also had the Toyota mechanic verify, he had to look at it 3 times. Update: Red Triangle with ! Was gone when I moved the car. Drove a few blocks did not come back on. Since purchasing it the 40 miles on the freeway was the longest distance I ever drove it on a freeway.

4. Zrman

Zrman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Update, used heater this morning, set to high fan because it was cold. Check engine light is no longer on. I’m guessing the P1121 code for the 3 way coolant control valve is also gone. Without the multifunction screen there was no way to change the fan speed. Don’t know how long it was bad, so heat never ran on high. After running on higher setting could it have freed up the control valve ?