1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius New Stereo

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Falco78, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Falco78

Falco78 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well my 2008 Prius which I just purchased this week will be getting a new stereo in the next few weeks. I am going to start with the head unit only before later moving onto the speakers and sound deadening. After the head unit is installed I will later look to add my MB Quart ZA2-1600.4 4 channel amp and front and rear PPI P65C3 3 way components along with sound deadening of the doors.
    - Pioneer AVH4400NEX (got it off of a car audio forum for a steal)
    - Sirius XM module for radio above
    - Metra TYTO-01
    - Metra 95-8240B
    - Metra 70-8114
    - Metra Axxess ASWC-1

2. Robert in Sahuarita

Robert in Sahuarita New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I just put a pioneer mvh390 in mine.
    I wired the radio direct from the harness.
    The only piece from the mounting kit i used was the faceplate trim.
    I also wired in a small kicker 4 channel amp and an audiopipe apmi 2000 and a pair of skar audio 8's.
    I got rid of all the jbl "premium " sound. I have been using the stock jbl tweeters as i havent got around to installing the rest of my components. Not impressed at all with the stock tweeters.
    It was a pain to find the pinout of the radio.
    Sound deadening is next on my list, and definitly has to help.
    Im running a regular 12v group 51 battery.
    The difference is amazing. I considered trying to use the stock head unit, but I am extremely happy i didnt.
    I used the trim piece to mount a switch so my son can watch dvds, and am in the process of wiring a switch and some diodes so i can turn on my aftermarket backup camera at will without turning on the reverse lights.

3. Robert in Sahuarita

Robert in Sahuarita New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Also to note, i mounted my midrange amp under the passenger seat in place of the jbl amp. I ran new wire to the front speakers, but i personally felt the stock wire was ok for the rear speakers and tapped into that. The rear doors use a molex plug mounted on the chassis and the wires from the door plug into that. I didnt feel like messing with working around that.

4. Falco78

Falco78 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The amp I have due to size will have to mount on the rear seat backs and I will run all new wiring as 200 wrms per the 4 channels I don't want to use the junk factory wiring.

5. Falco78

Falco78 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah headrest monitors will be coming after Christmas is over so my kids can watch movies while I drive.