1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 PRIUS NO READY MODE WONT GO INTO DRIVE OR REVERSE

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by TJsPRIUS, Aug 18, 2019.

1. TJsPRIUS

TJsPRIUS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I own a 2008 Prius. The vehicle stalled out on me on the highway but I was able to get it going again on my lunch break. On my way home, it stalled out on me, turned on but would not go into the ready mode or change gears. I had it towed home. When I got home I tried pressing the start button (held the brakes down), all the dash lights came on, including all the warning indicators came on (Brake, ABS, etc), and a car with an exclamation mark shows in the center dash yellow triangle. The READY indicator would not come on. The car won't go into any gear but the Park or Neutral. I did the check for my 12 Volt battery and it's down to a steady 11.4 volts. Last night the center screen displays the battery charge of 1 bar, so I unplugged the connectors for the hybrid and 12v battery last night plugged them back in this morning. The display now shows the battery is almost full so I tested the 12Volt battery it's still 11.4 and still no READY indicator. It won't go into any other gear beside Park and Neutral. My neighbor is a mechanic and he recently changed the inverter cooling pumper (1 week ago). He is not available at the moment to help.

Any ideas what the issue maybe?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is the pump a genuine Toyota part and you checked it actually works? Sounds like it overheated.

Also you should change the 12v battery

3. TJsPRIUS

TJsPRIUS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No, it's not a genuine Toyota part. I purchased it off Amazon Yes, it appears to be working. I turned on the car I could feel the hose from the reservoir vibrating. The coolant in the reservoir is moving around. I am definitely going to get a new battery tomorrow it is still under the warranty.
    The Amazon link for the inverter is listed below.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her?

5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That 12V battery is definitely low. But I don't think it would cause the car to stall on the highway. I'd check the codes with a Prius-literate code reader like Torque Pro or Techstream. There are others that work, too. From what I've seen here, some auto parts places can read all the Prius codes and some can't.

6. TJsPRIUS

TJsPRIUS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two

7. ilbdarned5

ilbdarned5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Had this problem, did you try and unhook the positive wire from the battery for 2 minutes and hook it back up again to get the ready light to come back on?

The problem is the combination meter ( computer) it is the part in the dash that is the display for the speedometer and all the warning lights.
    Took me a while to figure it out, had no ready light, no double click you should hear in the rear when pushing the start button with foot on brake, car would not move.

Turns out Toyota had a recall for this problem, usually around 200k miles it would go out sometimes earlier. Replace it and your good to go.

You can find them used on ebay or people on their who know how to repair them will do a repair if you send yours in.

I was able to keep my car going for a while by resetting the thing by un hooking the battery for a few minutes, at least you can move it that way.

Look on you tube, there is a video showing how to replace it, a lot of steps taking the whole dash apart but I changed mine and it has been working since. That is your problem, no question