1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius Not Heating - Air Coming from Upper Vents

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by redrockprius, Nov 28, 2015.

1. redrockprius

redrockprius redrockprius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My ex-wife has a 2008 Prius. When trying to get heat, either using Auto A/C or manual, the display panel shows that only the floor vents are open. However, forced air is flowing from the upper vents on the dash. The air from these vents is not warmed. It seems to be unheated outside air. It's unclear whether this is a new problem, since the owner doesn't know if this behavior has been there since she bought the car. She does report that the car has always taken a long time to get comfortable in winter.

Has anyone experienced this problem and/or know the cause?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You should check the radiator fluid to make sure it's full. You would need to remove the radiator cap to see if it's full, don't rely looking at the reservoir level.

If it's not full, fill it with Toyota pink super long life coolant and make sure you bleed all the air out. Many times if there's a leakage and air enters the system, you will lose your car's heating.

3. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You also could check the heater hoses under the hood for warmth. If the coolant level at the radiator is OK and there's no heat, there's an electric pump in the heater core loop that can be checked. Is there a check engine light? A P1121 code for the coolant control valve could cause no cabin heat.

My Prius is not here so I can't check, but I believe the dash vent heater control only closes the two center vents. The two outer vents by the doors may only have manual control, to help keep door windows defrosted. My other car is like that, at least, and that could explain why there's cold air in the face.

The Prius has electric cabin heater elements that are pretty minimal, and would explain why it takes a long time to get warm if they're the only source of heat. They would probably not heat dashboard air at all.

4. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Check the coolant level in the radiator. Don’t just check the overflow bottle. You do need to (at least) partially remove the plastic cover above radiator cap. Only open the cap with cold engine! If you did need to fill it drive it and recheck it to make sure all the air is out. And only use the correct Toyota SLLC-coolant. Also check the overflow (its right next to the cap). If it was low check water pump (belt driven pump on engine) for leeks.

Even when mode is set to floor some air is flowing thought other vents to keep the windows from fogging. Just check the vent actuators by putting fan on high and testing all blower modes if you are concerned about this.

Are there any fault lights on? If not then coolant control valve works (non-working valve would cause fault code and light). If there is heat when engine is running but not when it could be the (electric) heater coolant pump.

#4 valde3, Nov 29, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  5. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I know a coolant heat storage pump/valve problem would give a code, but how about the A/C water pump (W1 in my wiring diagram)?

To the OP, bleeding air out of the engine coolant loop in this car is a little involved. You need to manually operate the above-mentioned coolant heat storage pump, and use tubing connected to the radiator bleeder valve. There are other threads about that.

#5 andrewclaus, Nov 29, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i thought the gen II had a manual pump and belt?

7. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sorry I mixed it up I meant the coolant control valve. I will fix the original post.

If level has only dropped down less than liter/quart it enough just to fill the radiator. Drive, let it cool and fill it again. How many times you have to do this depends on how much you needed to ad.

Yes belt driven pump pumps the coolant around when engine is running but electric pump pumps the coolant to heater core when engine isn’t running.

bisco likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thank you.

9. Bashpriusv

Bashpriusv New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Is your heating problem fixed. I have a prius v 2012 and i have them same issue.

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You've given me a serious case of déjà vu lol. (See post #2)

11. redrockprius

redrockprius redrockprius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The car was found to have a coolant level problem and a leaking coolant pump. After repair by a dealer, it is now working well.