1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 prius owner. Couple questions?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bslamb, Jun 6, 2018.

1. bslamb

bslamb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi folks, I have a 2008 prius but how do I know if I have the touring model? Mine has leather interior and all the whistles and bells.

Has anyone put a cold air intake on their prius and if so, did it effect the mpg? Give it a little more pep? I'm obviously not looking to make it a racecar but are there any mods that can be done to improve performance without major sacrifices to mpg?

Lastly, has anyone did the interior led light conversion and do you like it? Dislike it?

Thanks in advance!

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My understanding of the touring model is mag wheels, leather, and JBL stereo,and fog lamps.

There's been a few CAI's. Go over to the G2 Prius Accessories & Modifications forum.

3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Look at the rear shocks, if OEM you'll see a pink and a white stripe on each housing.

You might also notice the rear air foil on the hatch is a smidgen longer.

Like Ed mentioned, the wheels/tires will be 16 inch.

I won't comment on the base/touring sway bars :confused:

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. PAUL SCHULTZ

PAUL SCHULTZ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If original wheels the Touring has 16" as mentioned and 7 spoke wheels. The base model original wheels have 6 spokes.

Paul

5. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi I just don't know much about this car for I got it in the Toyota dealer as used. All I know and was told a 2007 all original and with the service record was all done at the same toyota dealer except for recent the wheel replacement or maybe wheel and tires. I just notice that the wheels is 15x7 width mounted with a 185 65 15 tire. What I want to do is to identify the car to its correct package # and put right wheel and tires according to standard specs. I am after for the original manuafturers specs. My main purpose for this car is to drive everyday to work as a gas saver.
    Any input will be great.
    Classic Car Guy
    2007 Toyota Prius Red 5.jpg 2007 Toyota Prius Red 11.jpg 2007 Toyota Prius Red 14.jpg 2007 Toyota Prius Red 17.jpg 2007 Toyota Prius Red 18.jpg 2007 Toyota Prius Red 23.jpg 2007 Toyota Prius Red 26.jpg 2007 Toyota Prius Red 28.jpg SAM_6522.JPG SAM_6524.JPG

6. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Skibob and Raytheeagle like this.
  7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not a touring model, rear spoiler is standard size, not the longer one from the touring model.

Only real difference is a stiffer suspension and bigger wheels. You're not missing much.

Air intake will be a waste of money, but it'll give you the cool factor

Skibob likes this.
  8. Classic Car Guy

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    so should I get the 15x6 factory wheel that they are offering now on local? All I wanted is just an everyday gas saver. My plan was to buy a used corolla instead I got this for the corolla was gone.

9. Classic Car Guy

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I ended up pickup up the original wheels and by a stroke of luck it even has a yokohama tires in it. It turned out to be an okay deal. Pretty much I'm all set for now. Thanks for the info.
    "I don't know what becoming of me. I use to be a Classic Car Guy..."

bisco and SFO like this.
  10. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Perhaps you got sick of fixing that MG? ;)

11. Classic Car Guy

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I love classic cars. Unfortunately I cant drive it everyday and on a weather like this. That's were a reliable car comes in. Surprisingly the Japanese imports went up in price even on a used ones.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    very surprising, considering cheap gas

13. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    About the best fuel saving addition you could do would be to add a plug in electric package so the majority of travelling is either all electric or serious electric assist. It really depends on how far your commute is each day and the anticipated max speed. The PHEV upgrade is limited to around 80km/h (50mph) in all electric mode, but in mixed mode with the battery recharged regularly it should give you around 2.5lt per 100km (around 100 USmpg) No idea if the price of petrol (gas) over there would warrant the cost the cost of the upgrade.

T1 Terry

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how much is the upgrade?

15. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    No idea the $$ cost in the US, the 2006 Prius I bought from Jason in Oz who is a member of this forum already had the upgrade. For my wife and myself, it has been everything we'd hope for and more and as soon as I finish sorting the traction battery problem I'm expecting it to move to an even higher level.
    We live roughly 200km (120 mile) out of the state capitol but very steep hills involved each way, so we need to hybrid back up for both the highway speed and the hill climbing, but from home to our workshop and back is only 10km (6 mile) round trip and the hills aren't as long but just as steep. We have no problems doing the commute from home to the workshop and back in all electric mode, but the near dead traction battery did waste a lot of the plug in batteries capacity.

T1 Terry

16. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    T1 Terry, are you in Europe? That electric battery package never pencils out in the US. Gas is just too cheap.

17. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    He’s in Australia with @Jason in OZ ’s old ride;).

SFO likes this.
  18. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Rough numbers without going into the actual finer details, as stated in Jason's thread, mixed mode can deliver 2ltr/100km, put that through this calculator Convert Liters per 100 Kilometers to Miles Per Gallon (US) and you get 117.61 US MPG. I've probably got a heavier foot than Jason so I only get 2.5ltr/100km and running that through the calculator shows 94 US MPG. That averages out at 105 US MPG, so 100 US MPG so that part holds up.
    As far as fuel costs, no one gets fuel as cheap as you get from the bowser, those costs where based on yesterdays fuel prices in Adelaide South Australia, the comparative costs are similar else where in Australia, just a bit more expensive in some places compared to others.
    Having said that, the battery kits come from the US, so you would buy them a lot cheaper over there than we can buy them here, so there would need to be some research to determine if the upgrade was a financial proposition.
    The added burst of the mark and hill climbing performance is a bonus so if you are into that sort of thing then you would need to factor that into the equation to determine if it was worth while or not, it sure stuns the boy racers around here I can tell you :lol:

T1 Terry

19. Classic Car Guy

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for letting me know. I was able to get all the infos and service records from the dealer.

Raytheeagle and SFO like this.
  20. Classic Car Guy

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi there again,
    Wanna ask you something? Planning to give this 2007 Prius a try and see if its gonna work out for me. Considering I'm new to the Hybrid and this has 100k miles. I was planning to change all of this in the attachment just to get a step 1 on peace of mind.
    I normally use an 80's Toyota pickup or Corolla and I have no problem of pushing it all the way to 300k miles.
    But this car I have no experience on it. I want to start off replacing everything that I can to make the car not overheat.
    Basically like thermostat and gasket, mechanical water pump, the 3 electric pump/valves, all the coolants.
    Let me know what you think?
    Classic Car Guy

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      66.6 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      64.6 KB