1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius, Package 6, with installed Hymotion A123 L5 pack

Discussion in 'Private Sales' started by ualdriver, Oct 10, 2013.

1. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    IMG_1675.JPG IMG_1694.JPG IMG_1687.JPG Prius Moroney 20001.jpg IMG_1681.JPG IMG_1695.JPG IMG_1689.JPG IMG_1688.JPG

Attached Files:

2. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Asking $12,999 or best offer. I am willing to sell the Hymotion pack and/or car separately if desired.

I have more pictures available as desired.

2008 Toyota Prius with Hymotion A123 L5 battery Pack (see description of pack below car details)
    61,000 miles
    One owner
    Non-smoking car
    No damage/accident history
    Clear, clean title in my possesion

Option Package #6 (all available options)
    Leather seats and steering wheel
    Cruise control
    Back-up camera
    Voice activated GPS Navigation
    Hands Free Bluetooth
    Smart Key (keys stay in your pocket to open the doors and start the car)
    JBL AM/FM 6 Disc CD changer with 9 speakers
    Aux audio input
    Vehicle stability control
    Anti-theft system
    Auto dimming rear view mirror with HomeLink
    Heated outside mirrors
    HID headlights
    Fog lamps

Aftermarket installed:
    DICE iPod interface (allows your iPod to be controlled by the Prius touchscreen and be charged)
    Coastal EV switch
    First Aid Kit
    Wheel locks
    Rear Bumper Applique

General Description
    The body of the car is free of rust but has some scratches as shown in pictures. The hood of the car has numerous stone chips where pebbles, debris from road, etc., have struck the hood of the car. There is a very small ding (half the size of a dime) on the lower right corner of the hood. There is a circular shaped scratch on the hood. The sides of the car have some scratches.

The interior of the car is clean. There is a very small 1/8” tear on the right rear door interior vinyl that is barely noticeable.

I have most of the maintenance history. Oil changes per Toyota recommended schedule. Last 30,000 miles with Mobil 1 synthetic. Transmission fluid changed at 45,000 miles at Toyota dealership. Tires are Michelin Hydroedge Green X with plenty of rubber left. The tires were placed on the car when the odometer read 23,394.

HYMOTION A123 L5 BATTERY PACK
    Hymotion A123 battery pack installed. Turns this Prius into a “Plug-in” Prius, greatly increasing your MPGs. Pack purchased January 2009. Installed by Westboro Toyota in Westboro, MA.

If you’re not familiar with this Hymotion L5 battery pack, it is a 5kWh battery installed under the rear hatch where the spare tire is normally stored. It does not impede on the space available within the Prius. The pack allows the Prius to draw from this “extra large” battery for about 45 minutes to an hour of continuous driving time. During that time, you can expect to use little or no gas as most of the energy for propulsion comes from the Hymotion battery pack. The miles per gallon indicator(mpg) in my Prius only goes up to 100 mpg. When I drive this Prius around town with a charge in the Hymotion pack, the mpg indicator is pegged at over 100mpg. I routinely got an average of 85-90 mpg per tank. I would have had a much higher per-tank average if a plug had been available at my employer to replenish the pack while I was working, as the pack runs out one-way just as I turn into the parking lot!

The Hymotion pack charges by simply plugging a regular extension cord into the rear bumper of the Prius. When plugged in, the brake lights briefly illuminate to let you know the pack has started charging. It charges fully in about 5 hours, and costs me about 55 cents to charge. The pack is controlled by a small on/off switch by the steering wheel. A small indicator light by the switch displays pack status. Both the light and the switch are inconspicuous.

The pack was fully crash tested by A123 systems during its development. The pack received federal NHTSA and FMVSS safety approvals.

The Hymotion pack is a slick little system that I have enjoyed using very much. Despite the fact that the pack is a few years old, I have yet to notice any decrease in pack capacity. As I have taken my Prius to work over the past few years, the pack has run out of charge at just about the same place every time (+/- 2000 feet).

3. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Price lowered.

4. gjsullivan

gjsullivan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How much for the Hymotion L5 battery pack ?

5. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I don't know. Make me an offer. Keep in mind that I'm in the Chicago suburbs and it will likely cost a few hours of labor to have it uninstalled by a hybrid shop. Add an @comcast dot net to my screen name if you want to e-mail me directly. Thanks

6. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Also you will be left with a hole in your bumper for the charge port and maybe a hole in your dash for the switch and LEDs (if your version has the 3 LED status lights).

Keep in mind that Hymotion is now defunct and there are no warranties on the pack and the service for the pack is almost non-existent now which is a shame. Basically, if your seller doesn't know what the Hymotion pack is and its history, I wouldn't sell to them. Too high a liability IMHO.

7. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Pack gets sold AS-IS. And you just told them the rest!

8. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    price lowered

9. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    price lowered

10. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You're making it tempting, but too bad I don't need a fifth hybrid let alone a 3rd red hybrid or a 2nd red gen2 Prius!

11. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Sure you do! Everyone needs a fifth hybrid!

12. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    price lowered one last time!

13. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    A few more times and I would have to buy it!

What are your plans if it doesn't sell here? Trade-in? Part out?

What sort of range do you get in pure EV mode on the Hy pack?

14. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    He-he. They're ain't going to be a "few more times." I think that's about it.

CarMax gave me a higher than expected price, so it will probably go to them in a week or so. Not sure yet if I will go down that path.

There's no real "pure EV" mode with this pack above 34 mph. The Hymotion pack just tricks the Prius into thinking it has a giant traction battery. So what I end up doing most of the time is "pulse and glide." Except the "glide" goes on for quite a while as I have lots of battery to glide on. It takes about 30-40 minutes for the pack to discharge, depending upon how fast I'm driving.

15. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Car sold. Thanks guys!

16. Beshara1111

Beshara1111 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How much did it go for?

17. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If I have a house to charge, I would bought it above this price.