1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius Red Triangle light

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by ferhat, Mar 16, 2011.

1. ferhat

ferhat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi. I have 2008 Prius with 126k miles on it. I was driving at highway and three lights ( red triangle, yellow circle with ! and the red car with the ! on the display) came on. I didn't stop right away. After 2-3 minutes car shut down and never start again. Inside lights and signals were okay and bright. But even I put the key in, car didn't response. I had towed to dealer. They will call me after diagnostic. Did anyone get same problem? What was the cost?

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No, but it would be SUPER helpful for us to have all the DTCs aka error codes. We have a number of repair experts here on Priuschat.

3. ferhat

ferhat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I will get the number after diagnostic and will post here.

4. ferhat

ferhat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    invertor water pump stopped working. and in 2 minutes fried the invertor. $4750 :(

5. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Sorry to hear this. I thought the inverter would shut down non-essential functions to protect itself in the event of overheating. And it may take some time on the highway to find a safe spot to stop the car. What speed was the car running at after the warning lights came on? What was the ambient temperature? It's scary to think that the inverter would die in a few minutes. I am hoping maybe the dealer made a mistake and the inverter is actually OK. Again DTCs would help. Please post. Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  6. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    First of all, IF it is the inverter, get one salvage. This is a $1000/- repair. But I would only believe it is the inverter if they replace the inverter cooling pump and make sure that the 12V battery is fully charged. If it is the inverter due to IC pump shutdown, yours might be a Prius Chat first. Many, many times, the IC pump has died on someone, and shortly thereafter the 12V battery runs down too far to power all of the sensors and computers on the car's network, which leads to the immediate shutdown and a whole slew of trouble codes. On the other hand, people with really strong 12V batteries were able to go for miles and miles in the middle of summer after IC pump shutdown, because the inverter will scale back its duty cycle, including shutting off completely the 12V power/battery charging system.

2 people like this.
  7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When the inverter has cooled down, then if the car will become READY the inverter is probably OK. If the car refuses to become READY then I would agree that the inverter died. In that case, the best bet would be to purchase and install a salvage unit, probably will cost ~$1K for the part and 3 labor hours to install.

2 people like this.
  8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I don't recall, but Patrick, since the inverter coolant pumps are on recall, and much of the HSD components are warranteed to 150K in CARB rules following states, I'm wondering if the NY shop might cut 'em some slack.

1 person likes this.
  9. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wouldn't hurt to inquire into that.

10. ferhat

ferhat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    they didn't tell me anything about warranty. Is there any warranty for water pump and inverter even at 126k miles?

11. ferhat

ferhat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

my speed was around 40 mph and temperature was around 45. I did not slow down to take exit :( I love my prius but it shouldn't end up like that.

12. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I suggest that you consult your maintenance and warranty booklet, since this issue is potentially worth $5K to you. The inverter coolant pump would not be covered but the inverter might be if your car is covered under the same warranty as provided in California.

13. ferhat

ferhat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think so. I live in NY.

14. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    New York is a CARB (California Air Resources Board) state and thus has the same warranties as CA. I second checking your warranty booklet.

1 person likes this.
  15. ferhat

ferhat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have checked the warranty booklet. hybrid system 96 months or 100k miles. CARB extends performance, defect and hybrid battery warranty. what I understand is, cooler pump and inverter are not under warranty even in CA or CARB following states.

16. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Looking in the back of my 06 Prius WIB, "inverter with converter" is part of the parts list for the California Emission Control Warranty, Long-Term Emission Defect Warranty which is covered for 15 years/150K miles.

Near the front where there's a graph of all the warranties, it does mention that the California Emissions warranties apply to NY and a bunch of other states.

Unfortunately, I don't think the inverter coolant pump is warranted for anywhere near that long. The "recall" (actually LSC) for the inverter pump that others are referring to is http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...ump-dealer-letter-technical-instructions.html, but it doesn't cover 08 models as they should already have the improved, redesigned pump. :/

1 person likes this.
  17. ferhat

ferhat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    what about inverter? is there possibility that I pay the cooler pump and warranty cover the inverter?

18. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hopefully you can do that since replacing the coolant pump is FAR cheaper than a new inverter.

BTW, if you feel this issue was a legitimate safety issue, you should report it to NHTSA via Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). It won't necessarily help your case though... However, if a recall or another limited service campaign is initiated due to the problem being found widespread enough, you'd likely get reimbursed for your repairs. If something like that happens, it could take months or even years.

1 person likes this.
  19. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I am puzzled. The temperature was cool and speed moderate. The inverter should have a good chance surviving. Did you block the grill?

1 person likes this.
  20. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That should be what happens in your case. I wonder if the service department is backpedaling now that they know they will need approval from Toyota for a warranty replacement of the inverter, which quite possibly is fine.