1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius Red Triangle light

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by ferhat, Mar 16, 2011.

1. ferhat

ferhat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    no, I didn't block the grill. that surprised me too. because it happened in a few minutes. I drove other cars too and never seen like this.

dealer won't do anything about warranty. because they belive it is not under warranty. but I wrote to toyota and waiting for answer.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You should point out to them the 15 year/150K mile inverter warranty in the warranty information booklet and the section that says this warranty applies to NY cars.

3. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    +1.

To OP: Have the dealer ever given you the DTCs that point to the inverter "meltdown"? If not yet then please ask and post here. Thanks!

4. firedog73

firedog73 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: 2008 Prius Red Triangle light or bad ju-ju in Prius

We have had a similar situation with our 2007: This all started the day after we had taken the car to Toyota for water pump recall;While driving an orange triangle,break light,circle with (!) & a car in a red square on the touch screen all came on @ about 60mph;the car didn't automatically shut down but we stopped about 5 min later to run errands; drove back home with warning lights on & an intermittent audible alarm.The next day we returned to Toyota the service department said that the battery was low & needed charging before any diagnosis possible. When we picked up the car we were told that they charged the battery & couldn't find anything wrong- all codes showed no problems. As soon as we picked up the car my wife felt that there was something wrong with the car. We returned it the next morning with the alarms & warning lights active & it has been there for the last 2 days & they still haven't found anything wrong!
    Toyota did give me 6 pages of test results & codes; which ones would be needed to diagnose the problem????

P.S. San I expect something like this with my 2008 Prius????

5. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Most likely they did not properly bleed the inverter cooling loop after installing the pump, and it is airlocked. There are also cases where a hose was left clamped shut. When the car detects the inverter coolant overheating, the DC converter is offline and all computer systems are run off the 12V battery. That is why they had to recharge the 12V. It may also be why they can't find the code, P0A93, because a low battery will erase all but permanent DTCs, like you get with the braking system. They may even have the P0A93 code but not believe it because they just replaced the pump. Tell them to fill and bleed the inverter cooling system, and check for flow in the reservoir with the car in Ig-on/Ready.

1 person likes this.
  6. firedog73

firedog73 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: 2007 Prius Red Triangle light

We have had a similar situation with our 2007: This all started the day after we had taken the car to Toyota for water pump recall;While driving an orange triangle,break light,circle with (!) & a car in a red square on the touch screen all came on @ about 60mph;the car didn't automatically shut down but we stopped about 5 min later to run errands; drove back home with warning lights on & an intermittent audible alarm.The next day we returned to Toyota the service department said that the battery was low & needed charging before any diagnosis possible. When we picked up the car we were told that they charged the battery & couldn't find anything wrong- all codes showed no problems. As soon as we picked up the car my wife felt that there was something wrong with the car. We returned it the next morning with the alarms & warning lights active & it has been there for the last 2 days & they still haven't found anything wrong!
    Toyota did give me 6 pages of test results & codes; which ones would be needed to diagnose the problem????

7. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  8. ferhat

ferhat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

both toyota and dealer says it is not under warranty. 150 kmiles for emission ( they say).

After I paid $4800 my car was very good. but, today I got similar problem. This time warning signs are same but power was still on. I have had changed shocks at some repair shop. After they finished car didn't start. I thought it is 12v battery and gave jump. But nothing have changed. Again towed to dealer.

9. ferhat

ferhat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    problem was very simply. while they changing shocks, impact the car some how. and car got that as an accident locked itself :)

that answer cost me $136 tow + $250 diagnose.

10. tpfun

tpfun New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Another poster also mentioned a $260 diagnosis/inspection fee for a brake issue.

That's a ridiculous rip off. Wow...
    Unfortunately, neighborhood mechanics won't be able to diagnose most of the Prius issues so owners are stuck with it.

11. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Neighborhood mechanics will go out of business if they don't learn. All modern cars have computers and sensors which require advanced diagnostic skills in case of a problem.

1 person likes this.