1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius security issue (alarm won't engage + door locks)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Murban, May 16, 2023.

1. Murban

Murban New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Premium
    I'm having a lock issue with a 2008 Prius.

The doors will lock, but within an hour or two at the most the alarm starts going off. Everytime.
    When locking the red light on the dash with the key shape with blink/flicker. It's almost like there's a connection issue they won't allow the security system to engage completely.

I've already changed the door handles without any difference made.

Has anyone tried changing the security module or know where to locate it?

Thanks in advance!

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I think the alarm module is behind the rear passengers drink cup holder on the console when you pop that off you see the red and white module there and it has the frequency and alarm business all printed on top of it in red I think Red label white control square well rectangle.

3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That receiver is just for detecting the key is in the car, so that not going to help any. The immobiliser is somewhere buried deep in behind the dash, but I don't think that's you problem either.

Does your car have factory (or port-side install by dealer) alarm or some aftermarket alarm installed?

4. Murban

Murban New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Premium
    Thank you for taking the time.
    Just your standard factory alarm from Toyota...

The keys have been changed.

It is just your standard Toyota factory alarm...

#4 Murban, May 17, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2023
  5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    When you say the keys have been changed do you mean the black plastic immobilizer remotes?

6. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The factory alarm system is a function of the body control ecu (BCM). It monitors a bunch of inputs, arms the system, and will trigger the alarm if an input indicates "tampering" (ie, a door switch has changed state).

Unfortunately, the Gen2 BCM doesn't keep a record of what triggered the alarm.

Option 1) if you don't care about the alarm (and just want it to not sound off), then try unplugging the hood latch switch. I think that should prevent the alarm from ever arming.

2) if you want the system to work correctly, get a capable scantool to check BCM data. See if any hood, door or tailgate switches change while driving the car. Could be something like a fritzy tail hatch switch.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.