1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius stereo removal for DICE install - help!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by keytohwy, Apr 17, 2008.

1. keytohwy

keytohwy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    OK, not a dumb guy, but the instructions for installing the DICE Silverline are minimal. I guess I'm looking for a place to begin. How to take out/get to the back of the current stereo. I have a basic package, no NAV, SAT, etc.

Thanks for any help or links to help!

2. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Here's an "oldie but a goodie"...Chris Dragon's instructions for radio removal.
    Several folks here on PC have written other instructions for how to install without pulling the dash apart so completely (like maybe just the vent panel to the right of the radio)...but if you want to get the radio out and get to the back....this is the best instruction I'm aware of.
    Good Luck!

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  3. keytohwy

keytohwy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thank you! I wonder how different a 2008 is? Will find out this weekend...

If anyone else has tips before I pull everything apart, please let me know.

Thanks again,
    keytohwy
    (with a two day-old Prius)

4. LouisLacrosse

LouisLacrosse New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I also have the 2008 package # 1. I was looking into getting the new DICE silverline.

Have you installed it yet? Is it tedious?

& does it work well?

Thanks,
    Louis

5. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    those directions are spot on. i used them today to install my xm. it isn't very hard, but time consuming. but, rather do it right the first time around.

6. pfmanny

pfmanny New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey everyone I have made a post titled radio removal with tips and pictures check it out! PFMANNY:D

7. keytohwy

keytohwy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I ended up using another set of instructions that only involve removing the vent cover that is right center. If you have all the parts you need (I didn't), it should take about 30 mins.

I installed the Silverline to use with an iPhone. I also used the Bracketron holder instead of the ProClip system that DICE sells.

The UI for the Silverline is a little clunky, but it works very well with my iPhone. Unlike what some others reported, my music pauses when the car is turned off, without having to first power down the stereo.

See the last post on page 3, and then forward from there.

http://priuschat.com/forums/audio-electronics/39169-iphone-mounting-options-what-s-best-3.html

Let me know if you have any questions,
    keytohwy

8. nomis_nehc

nomis_nehc New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    sorry to revive an old thread, but can you point me to the other instructions you used? I will be doing this for my gf this weekend. Thanks!

9. tom28734

tom28734 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I used the Chris Dragon instructions to remove my stereo and then removed a jammed disc from the changer. These instructions are perfect; all went well. I'm inexperienced in all of this and encountered no problems. THANKS to this forum and Chris Dragon for the help.

I did have to really yank on a few of the dash pieces to get the clips to release. (If it's cold where your car is, put a small electric heater inside for a few hours to soften the plastics.)

The top of the radio was easily removed after the bracket was taken off. The jammed CD was easily seen, but the opening is not large enough for the CD to be removed intact. I just released the CD from the player arm with my fingernails and then broke the CD for removal. I then tested the changer quite a bit before re-assembly. No problems.

One more thing - the CD changer was jammed on a commercial CD with a fairly thich paper label. NEVER put a CD with paper label in an automotive changer. The changer is weak and any friction can jam it. (The CD was in there when I bought the car!)

Thanks again!