1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius T4 228,000 miles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Christopher Lynch, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Christopher Lynch

Christopher Lynch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hello Prius Owners,

Fantastic car, and hoping to purchase another soon.

However, in the last few days a problem has developed, a kinda humming/whirring noise from the front (I think?) but as you know, not always easy to clearly determine where/what etc.

The noise occurs noticeably from approx 30 mph and above, quiet and normal at a low speed. Also, I can't get a reaction when cornering hard and at speed etc. Have selected Neutral at speed, and the noise remains. I've taken the car to my dealer, they've eliminated the water pump, rear wheel assemblies etc, etc. However, they stated that it's difficult to diagnose the front wheel bearings (driving wheels etc) so, it's kinda down to me.

So, my plan of action is to drive the car hard and fast for a fair distance, pull over and park up, then check to see if either of the front wheel hubs/bearings is hot, indicating something is amiss. Failing that I guess the 'Hybrid Generation System' could be on the way out?

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks.

Regards

Chris Lynch

2. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would bet it is the wheel bearings. Since it has that many miles it's really only natural that they need to be replaced. I had one go bad after I hit a large hole in the road. I hit the hole and nothing changed but slowly I began to hear this noise coming from the front end, the sound got louder and louder over time. Finally replaced it! All good now.

3. Christopher Lynch

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks Aaron.

I like your confidence and have to admit that I hope you're judgement is 100% correct. Any other outcome could potentially be expensive.

I intend one more long fast run today, and a rapid 'touch check' of both front wheel hubs to see whether they're running warm-hot etc. So far, with a short fast (letting the engine braking slow me) run they both appeared to be warm.

I'll book another more lengthy inspection by my local Toyota dealership, and just hope we're able to pinpoint the cause.

I guess, as usual, time will tell.

Thanks again.

Chris Lynch

4. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Keep me updated, Chris. Best of luck to you!

5. Christopher Lynch

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks Aaron.

I certainly will. Great to have this 'Support Facility'.

On to another matter, still concerning the Prius. I'm intending purchasing another, obviously much younger Prius soon (2013-15 with 25/30,000 miles). Is 'Priuschat' a useful vehicle to buy and sell through?

Thanks.

Regards

Chris

6. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Great! No not really only a few get posted here, and not very often. We are here to help decide what to buy! I'm on my 3rd Prius, 2005, 2012 two liftback, and a loaded 2012 V wagon Five

7. cobraz

cobraz Prius Pirate

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had a 2008 Touring..almost made it to 200k miles..Oil was burning 2 quarts a month..traded her in for a 2015 Persona..glad I did now.

SAMSUNG-SM-G925A ?

Christopher Lynch likes this.
  8. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How many miles a month? Congratulations on the 2015. The personas are beautiful

9. Christopher Lynch

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Aaron,

FYI: Today the Prius goes into my nearby Toyota Dealer (who have serviced/maintained it since 2011) for further 'exploration/diagnosis' to ascertain whether it's a/the front wheel bearing/s etc. I've also requested that they drain and replace the very tired/old CVT Fluid (apparently Toyota advise you don't need to change this lubricant) 4 quarts, and remember to replace the aluminium washer on the drain plug, and re-torque to 29ftIlbs. I won't give them that last info as an instruction obviously, but I 've deliberately detailed it on my 'task list' that I submitted.

So, hopefully by mid afternoon today I will be able to drive an even quieter, smoother running Prius, able to battle on for 1000's of miles further. Hopefully, at least until I'm able to comfortably afford my newish (2 year old, low mileage) vermillion red replacement. Obviously, I'll miss the old gal, she's been fantastic.

Regards

Chris

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  10. Christopher Lynch

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks.

Ironic, because the car showing for you is exactly the Prius, model, colour that I aim to purchase next (once I have saved enough UK Pounds) great looking car. I currently have a late 2008, T4 Decuma Grey. As you have commented, I too am noticing how the oil consumption is gradually increasing, but not alarmingly (yet).

Just have this annoying whirring noise to deal with at the moment, but still no definitive diagnosis (could be a wheel bearing, but which one etc). Consequently my Toyota dealer advises that I continue driving until we can absolutely determine what and where the fault lies. Tried all known test procedures, cornering hard, high speed for good distance, then slow on the engine braking, get out and touch each wheel hub to see whether hot etc, etc. Hopefully, not until a wheel assembly comes adrift (joking of course).

Chris L

11. Christopher Lynch

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Aaron,

Just to keep you posted re: diagnosis etc. I took the car to my nearby, reliable Toyota Dealership this Thursday, and after yet more exploration, using 'rolling road' facility, taking car out on test drive, accompanied by 2 technicians (including 1 Master Technician), they simply could not determine which side front wheel bearing. Like you, they're fairly sure that it is a wheel bearing issue. They just didn't want to involve me in unnecessary expenditure, replacing the wrong wheel bearing etc. To be frank I'm almost tempted to instruct them with replacing both front bearings (to be sure, to be sure, as my Irish cousins would say).

In the meantime, they are confident that until I'm able to clearly determine (cornering hard) which side, then I should just carry on driving the car.

Regards

Chris L

12. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    GMB 770-0355 Wheel Bearing Hub Assembly

Why don't you just order two of these and go to a reputable local shop to replace them?

13. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the put date btw! For me, nothing's worse than loud road noise. Right now my Prius v has loud cheap tires with good tread depth and they drive me crazy. I can't justify replacing them because they are almost new!

14. Christopher Lynch

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks Aaron.

Yep, I guess I get used to my Toyota Dealership doing everything, including the tyres (they're very competitive indeed). However, during the last 200,000 miles (it had approx 30,000 miles when I purchased) they have only had to replace 1 front o/s wheel bearing (86,000 miles), water pump (110,000) front Discs (190,000) and finally a Drive Belt (222,000). Serviced every 10,000. But yes I should consider the alternative you describe, and just cover all the bases (regarding front bearings/Hubs) but let a reputable garage do the work @ 1/2 labour rate + 1/2 component cost etc.

Thanks again.

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  15. stockdaddy

stockdaddy Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    maybe the noise is coming from door, bumper that is slightly misaligned. try putting tape on different parts, then driving at high speeds.