1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius Thermostat removal (Blown Headgasket)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by reyada4766, Feb 21, 2022.

1. reyada4766

reyada4766 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Car has 289,000 hard miles. Head gasket has been blown for 3 years. Combustion gas in the system cause overheating in 20 minutes of driving. I use it now only to go to my college and grocery store. I tried many head gasket sealers to no avail. I was looking at removing the thermostat and trying again. Will leaving the thermostat out help it last a little longer on the road without overheating? I am also running Engine Restore due to low compression. I do not have the funds to repair this and Its cheaper later put a used engine if it came to that but car is severely worn. Bent frame, burns oil, battery going bad and only gets 32 mpg. Heat dont work either. Any advise to lower overheating would be appreicated.

SFO likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    permanently wire the cooling fans, unless they stay on all the time anyway

reyada4766 likes this.
  3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No advice here, the cooling system has to keep the liquid section and combustion gas sections separate in order for it to function. If the "miracle goop" no longer helps at all, then put a fork in it because it's done.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

reyada4766 likes this.