1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius was totaled. Should I get a 2012 replacement?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Josh Lyman, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Josh Lyman

Josh Lyman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had my 2008 Prius for a little more than 2 years when I was rear-ended during rush hour by a '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee and now the other driver's insurance wants to total the car because the $4800 in estimated repairs is >75% of its market value. I want to just repair my car, but because the payout would be lower, I'd have to spend $600-1000 out of pocket to make up the cost of repairs and retitle the car as a salvage.

If I take the full payout and add that out of pocket cost, my budget is $7000 after backing out taxes and fees, which brings the 2010 model into the picture. My 2008 had 147k miles but it had the highest trim level. Also, I was the second owner and the previous owner took incredible care of the car to where he had receipts of every oil change (he also did Mobil 1 Extended Performance every 10k miles).

I can get a 2010 Three with 145k miles for $6500: Autotrader - page unavailable but it doesn't have a backup camera which is probably the most important feature to me (leather seats and Bluetooth audio streaming are also strongly preferred).

Would that be a better option than an '07 with 125-145k miles for $1500 less?

UPDATE: There's a 2012 Four with all my "required" features (backup camera, leather, Bluetooth) for $6000 at a local AutoNation. I think it was a rental or loaner because it has 189k miles, but it has a meticulous CarFax maintenance history. It would cost me about the same as repairing my 2008. Should I be worried about the battery or powertrain on the 2012? If not, I'm inclined to buy it instead of repairing since I intend to keep either car for 3-4 more years.

#1 Josh Lyman, Apr 16, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  2. Landon51

Landon51 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I always look to the newer car since it will the most/newest safety features.

So, is the value of your car before it was hit were more than $6300 ($4800+1500) or is your car worth more?
    1. If it's worth more, tell the insurance company you want more.

2. You should also estimate you reg costs for the new car and add this to what they owe you. You shouldn't best that cost assuming that your car was remastered.

3. Did you pay for towering, storage, anything else?

3. Their estimates are going to be low. Get a Kelley Blue Book (or fine it online) I bet they re giving you the low value number. Get the best price you can.

4. Pretend you're selling the car. What's would you want for o it. Tell them you want that much.

If you want to repair it, simply repeat this to them. I was not at fault. You bear the entire cost of the repairs.

It's ok to be unreasonable and possibly look like the bad guy. You may have to fight them for what you want.

Talk to a lawyer. It may be worth getting one. Ask your insurance company if that is part of your policy. It really may be worth it.

Jerome

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. mikey_t

mikey_t Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would definitely take the payout. I don't think I'd get a 2010 with that many miles though. I just did that myself, with the same miles, and the EGR was completely clogged. It was a real pain to take apart and clean, and now I'm in need of doing all of the regular maintenance (spark plugs, clean fuel injectors, new tires, ect.). I would've done better to have bought a slightly newer model with less miles.

mjoo likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yeah, if you can't afford at least a 2012, i'd look for an 09

5. Josh Lyman

Josh Lyman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As it turns out, there's a 2012 Four with all my "required" features (backup camera, leather seats, Bluetooth) for $6000 at a local AutoNation. I think it was a rental or loaner because it has 189k miles, but it has a meticulous CarFax maintenance history. It would cost me about the same as repairing my 2008. Should I be worried about the battery or powertrain on the 2012? If not, I'm inclined to buy it instead of repairing since I intend to keep either car for 3-4 more years.

6. Zeppo Shanski

Zeppo Shanski Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I've handled totaled cars for myself and for a number of others. I've just dealt with the insurance companies saying "Here's the deal ...". I show them the car I want to replace the car that their client wrecked. Everything has always been close enough and they've picked up the check out the door. Maybe this can work for you too. It can't hurt to try.

7. mikey_t

mikey_t Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The 2012 with that high of mileage will also likely have a clogged EGR and potentially a blown headgasket in it's future. I'll also add that a month after I bought my 2010 the hybrid battery died (thankfully still under warranty). I had the same budget as you currently do, I'd hold out and keep a sharp eye on private sales from Craiglist and Cargurus, and whatever sales sites are available, for something with lower miles. I still kick myself for missing out on a 2010 with 120k miles for $6000.

I also think that if you're a handy person, you could get the 2010 and clean the EGR. If the car doesn't need more immediate maintenance you should be OK for a while.

I would also be concerned about the battery on that 2012.

8. Josh Lyman

Josh Lyman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why 2012? Is there an issue with the 2010/2011 models?

Looking on Craigslist and Cargurus, they have quite a few more options than Autotrader and Cars.com but I'm a little unsure about buying from a private seller on Craigslist since I just moved to the area and don't have a local mechanic I trust.

That said, this 2008 for $5500 w/143k miles, backup camera, leather and Bluetooth is basically the exact same as my Prius (this one is mislabled as a Touring Edition): Used Cars For Sale. Find used and pre-owned cars in your area - CarGurus Would this be a better option than the 2012 with 189k miles?

#8 Josh Lyman, Apr 16, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  9. mikey_t

mikey_t Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Totally understandable about the local mechanic. As for the 2008, I'll leave that for others who are more knowledgable about them. My previous prius was a 2004 that had a new battery installed before I bought it and it was super reliable at 180k miles when I bought it. I sold it to a friend around 210k miles I think, and immediately the 12v battery and water pump died. But the only thing I ever had to deal with was replacing the catalytic converter after it was stolen. I think the gen 2's were incredibly well made.

Perhaps if the 2008 is in really good condition and you can save the leftover cash from your budget for a potential new battery, it might be the best route. But I'm hoping others can chime in with more wisdom.

10. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry to hear about the accident and that is a tough price range to be in. I would try to find a 09 unless you can find a 10-12 that has already had its head gasket replaced. Aside from the head gasket and EGR problems, the Gen 3's are shocking reliable compared to the Gen 2.

If only you were closer to me, I would seriously consider letting you have my 2011 for $6500.

Raytheeagle and mikey_t like this.
  11. Josh Lyman

Josh Lyman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you saying that the Gen 3 is more reliable than the Gen 2 other than the head gasket and EGR? I've heard the reverse, though you'd know better than I. Head gasket issues seem like a major concern though, unless you're just talking about it for the 2012 I'm looking at due to its high mileage.

If we're concerned about mileage, there's this 2007 for $5500 with 113k miles: Autotrader - page unavailable and this 2008 for $6000 with 102k miles (4 owners though) Used Cars For Sale. Find used and pre-owned cars in your area - CarGurus but they're pretty much my best options on the 4 websites I've been checking.

#11 Josh Lyman, Apr 17, 2019
  12. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In my opinion, yes. The Gen 3’s are usually super reliable and problem free until the EGR and head gasket become an issue.

If you put the EGR and Head Gasket issues aside, the Gen 3 does not have these “common” issues:

- Combo Meter
    - Inverter Water Pump
    - MFD display failing (mostly on the early ones though)
    - Axle seal (the driver side one seems to leak somewhat commonly on the Gen 2’s)
    - ABS Actuator
    - Coolant Flow Control Valve
    - Leaking Engine Water Pumps

Raytheeagle likes this.
  13. Josh Lyman

Josh Lyman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, I knew about the water pump but not the other stuff. That certainly diminishes the appeal of the lower mileage 07 and 08 I found 2 posts above.

Are the EGR and head gasket issues inevitable though?

14. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Most of the Gen2 issues are easily fixable by backyard bob’s. They are inexpensive and can be fixed in less than a day.

I think the Gen 3 head gasket issue is inevitable. This is debateable. The EGR clogging seems to be dependent on driving conditions but most of them do get pretty nasty by 150K. Some people claim that cleaning the EGR will solve the head gasket issues, but the 2zr-fe used in the corolla also suffers from Head Gasket issues and that model does not have EGR.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  15. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Any car with over 100-150,000 miles is subject to part failures. Parts wear out. It's a lot of miles.
    It doesn't matter how well you take care of it, things wear out.
    And every car seems to have something bad it's remembered for. With the Gen 3 Prius, it's the head gasket.
    But if you start putting money aside for it, you'll have it when you need it.

#15 ASRDogman, Apr 17, 2019
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    does it have to be a prius? you won't save enough gas to pay for repairs. but you could get lucky, a lot of high mile prius are running around without major repairs, but you never know.

The Critic likes this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i said 2012 because i was thinking lower miles. but at the same price point, that isn't going to happen.

the first 100k are pretty trouble free. after that, you just don't know.

The Critic likes this.
  18. irhs

irhs New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I am curious, how does age factor into this? Does age wear out the parts just as bad as miles? For instance, between a 2010 low miles (say 80k) and 2015 high miles (150k), both regularly maintained, which one might be better on the paper? I realize there are lot of other factors that come into play (such as were the mile highway mile or city miles, was the car in cold/warm climate, etc), but just trying to get a sense of wear out based on age vs. miles.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    time is only more harmful to the battery, and i suppose rubbers and plastics. the rest of the car should be miles degradation.

one thing i'm not sure about is the brake actuator, if there are any rubber seals that might be affected by time or not.

the egr clogging is a mystery as to why some have an issue and others don't.

irhs and mikey_t like this.
  20. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Maybe us lead-footers are less prone to EGR clogging and oil consumption? :D

Raytheeagle and bisco like this.