1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius---what maintenance/service needed

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Iamjo20, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Iamjo20

Iamjo20 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    My Prius is exactly 8 years old today--it has 25,000 miles.
    What maintenance is strongly recommended. I live in West Central Florida.

Thanks! :)

jo

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Change the engine oil / oil filter at least annually.
    Check the 12V battery and replace it as needed. If you are not using a battery tender or battery charger periodically, expect the battery will need to be replaced every 3 years or so.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Ouch! To own a car that expensive without driving it to get lower operating expenses may have been a bad plan! (I personally believe that driving it keeps the battery healthy, taxis get great longevity)

I would replace the ATF WS in the transaxle now and every 4 years (normally I say 90,000 miles) Brake fluid absorbs water over time, have that tested. The anti corrosion additives in the anti freeze may be gone, have that tested.

http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms/T-MMS-08Prius/pdf/Prius08SMG.pdf I would do the 30,000 service on page 11

4. Iamjo20

Iamjo20 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thank you! Please advise what battery tender would be a good product to purchase, and the instructions on location of terminals (I think I know, but.....) I did have to replace the battery once. Thank you! Does the brake system need to be flushed?

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  6. Iamjo20

Iamjo20 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    thank you

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd say follow the Toyota schedule. It specifies what's to be done, by mileage and/or months. With some caveats. For example, the 6 month tire rotation could be skipped, it's pointless. And with the cabin and engine filters, do not just replace them blindly: have them inspected, only replace when needed.

And what Patrick said regarding 12 volt battery upkeep: with such low mileage you need to monitor it, consider some sort of automated battery tender.

8. Iamjo20

Iamjo20 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Please recommend a good brand of battery tender--specifications--instructions for terminals - ty

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I was going to say the CTEK MULTI US 3300, but looking at their website things are revamped. The aforementioned charger may still be available, there tends to be lag with retailers. But anyway, looking at the CTEK website, maybe the MXS 3.8:

www.ctek.com

I'm completely partial to CTEK, because I've used a 3300 for about a decade, but there are a lot of choices. CTEK seems a good one though.

With the original 12 volt battery I believe they say to keep amperage around 4 amp, or a bit lower. You want a "smart" charger, ie: one that assesses the battery, runs through a charging regimen, gradually tapering off, and can be left on indefinitely, during long idle times. It should also give you at least rudimentary feedback as to how it's doing.

10. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just purchased the BatteryMINDer Model 12248. This is a good one for the Prius AGM battery.

There is a jump point in the engine compartment fuse box under a red hinged cover. Connect the negative (- or black) lead to an engine bolt and the positive (+ or red) lead to the jump post in the fuse box. Be very careful that the polarity is correct. The BatteryMINDer will tell you that the polarity is reversed before you plug in the 120VAC.

Set the unit for AGM and 4A. Once the green charging light stays on solid the battery is fully charged. If you leave the charger connected it will continue to maintain the charge and will not overcharge.

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes, with any of the chargers: leave the plugging into the wall socket to last. Check your connections, charger status lights, settings, and then plug into wall. And always disconnect from the wall first.

jdcollins5 likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    BTW, what is the 12 volt battery in there? I'd assume it's been replaced once, and if by a dealership, it's probably the same as original, or the latest Toyota approved battery.

13. kinglew

kinglew Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Walmart brand works great 19.99

14. Iamjo20

Iamjo20 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model: