1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius wheel bearing type noise

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ginvt, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Ginvt

Ginvt New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all. I'm hoping someone here will have some ideas as to what my problem is. My new to me 2008 prius touring has 227k and out of the blue started making a bad wheel bearing noise. I changed the one I though it was and still had the noise. Changed the other side thinking I had just misdiagnosed the first and I still have the same noise! I put alot of miles on so changing them both wasn't the end of the world but still having the noise is. It even changes tone when I swerve doing the wheel bearing test.
    What else could be making this noise?
    Going to change the trans oil as soon as I can get ahold of the toyota oil but I'm at a loss.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Could be the hub too. I am starting to have intermittent bearing/hub noise now after making a right turn. So that maintenance item is on my list to get fixed.

3. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Another member here had an experience with installing a bad hub new out of the box.

Could it be a rear bearing?

4. Ginvt

Ginvt New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This thread could save many hundreds of dollars for future readers. Problem solved!

I had already bought two rear bearings but before I could change them one of the fronts got real loud real fast so it became the priority. When I changed the RF wheel bearing I noticed the RR tire had a little better tread so I switched the two and test drove it only to hear what sounded like the same noise from the front. I Decided I had botched the diagnosis and changed the LF bearing. Yup. Same noise.
    Still need a clue? My rear wheel bearings are fine.

Moral... If you think you have a bad wheel bearing rotate your tires from front to back and see if the noise moves. I hope this saves someone $ in the future. I'm returning those rear bearings!

05PreeUs likes this.
  5. vvkilin

vvkilin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Agree! I had problem with noise and was ready to buy new bearings set. But decided to buy new tires first. Noise was totally dissapated

iPhone ?