1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius window tints

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Gilbert, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Gilbert

Gilbert Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Anyonen living in Sacramento CA, or near Sacramento know a good place to go for Prius window tinting? There is one guy close here, but he wants to charge 240.00!! I've never paid more than 135.00 ever for window tints (all-round vehicle), and my last car was a big big gmc truck.. so i dont know why they want to charge so much for window tints.Im willing to adjust, but not that high. Dealer also told me they had to be non-metallic so it wouldnt interfere with the GPS.

Thanks in advanced.

2. pmanza

pmanza Fernsmom

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Gilbert
    I am in Sacto and that sounds like about the going rate for good quality film. I haven't done my yet, plan on doing them this spring. You definitely want non-metallic film. I found a place in Roseville (mr tint maybe?) that was about $185 but others were higher.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
    Fernsmom:)

3. jbdan

jbdan New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Got mine done for $235 here in GA. I thought it was very reasonable. They used 3M's nanofilm (Colorstable-CS) which is both non-metallic and non-ceramic. Installer told me the ceramic film still has metal in it and is known to fade over years of sun exposure. I have no clue as to the validity of those statements.

The CS has a lifetime warranty against fading from my installer. We'll see :D Also take a look at 3M's Crystalline Film. It's new, has superior heat rejection, and is getting a lot of praise.

4. rexg

rexg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    i just had my 2 priuses delivered and tinted last saturday here in antioch. it was 206otd per car and 216 with the small back window tinted. they used formulaone metallic tint 15% rear 50% front. i havent mounted my tomtom yet but i seem to be getting a good signal in the car sitting on top of the dash.

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The price sounds about right. You have 7 (8 if you count the small window on the hatch) windows on the Prius and each window no matter how small requires extra time to cut, clean and place tint on. I am going to assume you've never worked in a job where you charge labor per hour? Most shops charge $60-$90/hour so including the cost of a high quality film I think you are being charged fairly. Just be thankful you are not trying to remove tint as well, that really kicks up the price. ;) (My stereo shop does tint so I'm familiar with the time it takes to prep and apply)

Some advice, do not tint the front windows on either side of the driver or if you do then stick with something no lower than 73%. I got two tickets within 3 months by CHP in Sacramento and Placer County. :( I don't think they like Prius'.

6. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am just starting to look into this.
    Anyone around Portland used Alexia's Auto Tint[SIZE=-1] 10100 SW Canyon Rd, Beaverton? I asked for high quality legal tint for the purpose of reducing heat in the summer that would apear as though it was part of the original glass and they say they are running a special for $265, but regular price is $315.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]I kind of suspect that a $135 type job would include raged edges and similar problems.[/SIZE]

7. Pings

Pings Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I got my done in Yuba City cost me about 120ish.

8. Gilbert

Gilbert Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Mind giving some more infor about it? like the place name or phone #, is it high quality non metallic? how many windows you got tinted? got a pic? tnx

9. rochesteruser

rochesteruser Cruzin' in Rochester MN

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Gill that is a really good quote. Most charge $250 in my area for quality work with quality film. Go for it.

10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I looked up the Prius on our Window Tint estimate program and it showed $235. So it would seem that to do all of the windows anything from $200 or so sounds reasonable. Anything drasically less than that and you are either getting crappy tint, crappy workmanship, or a crankhead (Yuba City is notorious for them) that needs quick cash. LOL

Some midwest or southern states will obviously charge less due to lower wages and such.

11. joeman51

joeman51 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    looking for inexpensive window tinting in SF bay area???

12. tmg

tmg reset

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I had my windows tinted for about 300 bucks and the job came out horrible. The two front windows move when the windows row up/down and I can see the tint line. The individual that my windows in Chicago on the corner of cicero/63rd street was an idiot!

Yeah, im a little angry.

13. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would be too!

I assume you did not try to roll the windows down for a few days right?

14. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i have metallic film all around, no problems with GPS, but then again im in Florida

15. guster

guster New Member

do the metallic tints really help with heat in the car parked under the sun? What percent tints did you get?

16. poffy74

poffy74 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    has anyone ever tried the pre cut tints they sell on Ebay?

steve

17. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    my metallic tints help so much with heat, it takes about 5 minutes to cool down with a/c, but i have high metallized tint. The best tint for heat is ceramic, i think its called huper optic, its 45 or 50 % shade but its a lot more efficient than the 30 % metallized

18. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i've got carbon dyed tint... i do remember it making a difference in the summer heat. just did the windshield at the very end of the hot season here, but i'm sure that will help next summer. 30% on the side windows, 45% on the windshield.

windshield tint is illegal in quite a few places so check your local laws before going ahead on that one.

19. snowdog650

snowdog650 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    PM me. I got mine done in Sac for $115.00. Lifetime warranty.

20. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder how long they'll be in business. lol