1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 sat unloved for a year - dead traction battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cashmerewhore, Apr 23, 2019.

1. cashmerewhore

cashmerewhore Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, through a various snowball of events my former 2008 sat unused for over a year. Now that the family member that purchased it is in a position to do something with it - it's not running. I've replaced the 12V battery with an optima yellow top fully expecting to need to do that (as the previous 12V was replaced in 2010). When I power the car on I'm met with the following warnings:

The car will only shift between park & neutral. I assume this is because the traction battery discharged while it sat. Is there anything I can do about this easily? Or anybody near Columbus Ohio looking for a project Prius? It ran great before the dormant period (purchased a '17 Prime and then a model 3 - which is why it's been sitting).

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hybrid battery is dead. You can buy a Prolong hybrid battery charger for about $400 it works good you have to install A charging cable. Don’t know if that will help because you couldn’t be bothered listing the mileage of the car so dont know if it’s worth it on your car.

Charger can be found at hybridautomotive.com

srellim234 and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. Jmack111

Jmack111 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Open battery charge 2 battery at a time14v have to remove the orange bar one side.
    Or make jumpers and charge one side at a time it will balance better. It safer to do every other battery at 7V 2Amps takes about 2-3 hours per side most people don't have a power supply at 7V 8v max 1539574147168.jpeg 1539574147168.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. Jmack111

Jmack111 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And the yellow to get memory you need to add a 12v in Parallel with a charger and the battery you wanna charge to get enough current to clean the side of the battery I'm sitting Got this information from optima They use a special charger that has more amps this was their work around Or won't hold the charge and good down to 11V really fast

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    jmack,

Cashmere doesn't give me the impression they're about to self-remove a hybrid battery from the car and bust it apart to charge individual modules....that kind of stuff is best left to pros and serious DIYers with a bit of electrical experience....

Cash,

How many times have you pressed the power button? Typically, after replacing the 12v battery, the power button has to be hit twice to reset all the warning lights. You have a LOT of warning lights lit.

looks like master warning, slip indicator, brake warning, ABS, VSC, check engine and tpms.

Most likely the HV battery has had multiple modules self discharge to <7v, if not the majority of them if it's the original battery at 180k miles. I don't normally see all those warning lights just for a low battery, but that battery may be lower than any others I've seen.

#5 TMR-JWAP, Apr 23, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  6. cashmerewhore

cashmerewhore Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, definitely not worth my time to pull the hybrid battery from the car to charge individual modules. I've pressed the power button a few times (and over the course of a few days) and still get all these warning lights. One of the tires is flat, so the TPMS light is legit, lol.

To my knowledge it is the original hybrid battery. I bought the car used in 2010 from a local dealer - it was originally rental fleet. It had 53k miles on it at the time. I drove it until it was parked in 2017 when we bought our Prime.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    put a new battery in, how many miles on her?