1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 still has a good hybrid battery; what is the best recommended course of action for when it goes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by SRQ, Sep 7, 2022.

1. SRQ

SRQ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So my 2008 still has a good hybrid battery, but I was wondering who would be able to recommend a few good courses of action for when it finally goes.

I'm mechanically inclined, so I'm able to take the battery apart and swap a bad cell and clean the connectors, but I've head that can be a temporary solution.

I've also heard of ordering an upgraded/refurbished battery from a third party and sending my battery back as a core, but I think I may have other options to save money. Plus it may be a good idea to hold on to the battery for its lithium value in the future.

What do we have as far as options in 2022?

Edit: it has 240k miles.

#1 SRQ, Sep 7, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2022
  2. nancytheprius

nancytheprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You started two threads. one saying the battery is good and another saying it is not. you’re at the right place for advice, but consolidate your thoughts into one post! Like i mentioned in your other thread, don’t worry abt your battery. treat it like your other car parts and forget abt it. Other than cleaning your battery cooling fan and parking in shade when possible, there’s nothing else to do. have some $ saved for when you buy a new or refurbished one or replace modules and charge/discharge cycles. enjoy your prius!

bisco likes this.
  3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Battery rebuilding with used cells is obviously a crapshoot like rebuilding anything else with used components used battery cells they have a life cycle how do you know where you are in the batteries life cycle or the cells life cycle?. Essentially you don't by charging and discharging and back and forth with that you can kind of guess by what the numbers do but you're not really sure. What you do know is if you have an original car with the original battery cover and all of this sort of thing is that you might have an original battery and today just do the math that battery is quite old and probably getting close if not past the end of its recommended life cycle so you want to maybe rectify that so you can get back to normal driving as the car was as new. And that may not happen by using old Panasonic cells

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    now is the time to consider a grid charger to restore battery capacity.

when the time comes for a new one, attempts to save money will only cost more in the long run, so it will be a matter of how long you want to keep the car