1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Swapped two traction battery cells, then got 3001 code.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by AndyFromWI, Jan 11, 2022.

1. AndyFromWI

AndyFromWI Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My sons 2008 Prius with 203K miles got the dreaded red triangle of death last week, temps were -15F.

I disconnected the 12v battery and charged it (hoping that was the issue), ran the car and the red triangle came back on. Used the Dr. Prius app and found that block 8 was bad 14.3v vs 16.x on all the other blocks of cells.

Pulled the battery, removed the two block 8 cells, shifted everything to the left so that the replacement cells would be block 1 incase my replacement cells would be bad. I have an older traction battery from a 2005 Prius that was wrecked. The replacement cells had been sitting for 10 months. Got everything back together and went for a test spin.

For the first three miles everything was great. All blocks except the newly replaced block 1 were showing 16.6 or so, block 1 showing 15.3 (but it had not had a chance to charge). According to the Dr. Prius app everything was still in the green.

Red triangle came back on, I pulled over, Read the Battery codes: 3000, 3001 then reset them, and the Red triangle light went out. I could hear the battery fan on high, and looking at the Dr. Prius app, the traction battery was at 35% and going down. The car must be in limp mode because it would not accelerate very quickly. I was about 3 miles from home so I turned around and kept driving back watching the traction battery go from 35% to 33, 30, 28, 26... I made it home at about 23%. Stopped the car, put in in park, turned it off.

Started it back up, no red triangle, no codes... Held the brake and gas and could see the traction battery was charging.. When for a 2 mile test ride and it seemed normal, no issues, battery kept charging. I'm in WI, the temps were about 25F.

I could not find any anyone reporting a 3001 error code. I see this happens in Gen1 Prius, and it seems to be a Battery ECU issue. It looks like for gen2 3001 is also traction battery ECU issue.

Tomorrow I, I will take another look at the battery pack and ECU to make sure I do not have a loose wire.

One issue I had when putting the cells back in the battery. The cells must have swollen with use, it was very difficult to fit them in and bolt them in from the bottom. I had to use two long 24" clamps and the white plastic outer cover to squeeze them together to bolt them in. Also I believe this battery pack has been worked on in the past, I can see markings on some of the cells.

Any suggestions on the 3001 code, or anything else would be appreciated.
    The two cells I used to replace the two bad ones are definitely better, but the 3001 and limp mode has me a little worried.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    -andy

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unknown if P3001 is a valid OBD2 code for a gen2, best to scan again and confirm. This could be an issue with Dr Prius, you might report.
    Yes. Inspect the HV ECU and associated connectors for corrosion, including the tiny voltage sense wires attached to each module.
    Normal, assuming the magic marks are just random colors and lines on the upper sides/shoulders of the modules.
    Given the cooler temps you should be fine, but if you removed the pack and modules before they had a chance to fully cool they may have bloated. Rarely will all of the modules line up perfectly and bolt onto the bottom of the HV battery pan. Just do your best given the situation.
    You're on the right track, but may need to "balance" the fully assembled/repaired HV battery pack by using a "grid charger" or DIY charger. It is possible that "force charging" solved the issue, but doing a top and bottom "balance' may put some additional "life" back into that aging pack.

Thinking @ericbecky in Madison might be able to offer some help/advice :whistle:

ydpplqbd likes this.
  3. AndyFromWI

AndyFromWI Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    SFO, thanks for the quick reply.
    I went back in this morning to double check all connections, just as I was finishing I found a cell sensor clip on the ground, thus I need to go back in and make sure I have all the temp sensors installed... Ug.

Question: Since I'm pulling the battery again, would it make sense to split up my two replacement cells.
    When I ran Dr. Prius yesterday:
    Banks 2-14 all were very even at around 16.6v.
    Bank 1 (the one I replaced, after shifting everything down), was in the green but at 15.3
    I'm hoping this will even out eventually.

Would it make sense to split my two replacement cells and put one in bank 2, so I would end up with
    16.0 in bank 1 and 16.0 in bank 2, and 16.6 in banks 3-14?

Or am I better leaving the two replacement cells in Bank 1.

Thanks
    -andy

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You're more likely to have a better voltage balance between blocks if you only swap one module per block not both... Sounds like you're replacement modules are weaker than existing modules. Doing charge and balance and reconditioning on all modules would increase your odds of success.

In meantime you can use Dr. Prius app to clear those codes as they come up and keep driving without issue, as long as you monitor battery temp numbers and not let it get too hot.

5. AndyFromWI

AndyFromWI Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the information, I will put a replacement cell in block 1 and block 2. Currently I don't have the equipment to balance and recondition, so I will test and monitor.

Is there any downside to leaving the OBDII module plugged in all the time? I like your idea of monitoring and having the option to reset the codes.

Thank you for your help.
    -andy

6. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Some people who have left it in for months have had weird problems... Once you get some practice, it's pretty easy to have be driving along, see warning lights, plug it in... Open Dr. Prius, grab a screenshot and clear code and unplug it. Usually takes me 30 seconds or less.

Also, if you can find a NIMH hobby / RC charger you'll be able to slightly charge your replacement modules so all modules in pack have same voltage. You can also use a 12v halogen bulb to discharge modules slightly so they all are balanced. Of course the best way to do this is with a grid charger which you can learn to build here: Build Hybrid Battery Maintenance Gear For Under $100 | PriusChat

And as always, the more time you put into your battery rebuild job, the longer it will last.

7. AndyFromWI

AndyFromWI Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update on the Traction Battery cell swap.
    I put in the two 2005 replacement cells in Bank1 and Bank2. Replaced all bus-bars and nuts with new ones I purchased on Amazon.
    Tried to balance the two replacement cells by discharging with an automotive light bulb, for about 15-30 minutes, until the voltage dropped to 5.6 volts, waited 20 minutes, then charged back up with a Battery Tender trickle charger, would run for 60-75 minutes until the voltage hit about 8 volts which is what the rest of my cells read. I discharged / charged twice.

Put it back in the car, ran for 30 miles, no issues. Ran the Dr. Prius app the whole time and the largest Voltage Diff was about 0.5V
    Here is a picture from Dr. Prius.

Interesting that Internal Resistance varies from 25 - 28 ohms. Every time I have ran Dr. Prius on this car or any other Prius, I would always get internal resistance of 19 ohms. I'm not sure if this is from the new bus bars or something else.

The car seems to be running great.

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions.

-andy

Attached Files:

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I sure hope you mean milliohms! :eek:

9. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are they Copper, or Nickle plated (copper)?

10. AndyFromWI

AndyFromWI Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nickle. From Amazon:
    Hybrid Battery Bus Bars & Nuts set, compatible with Toyota Prius (2004-2015)

11. AndyFromWI

AndyFromWI Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good point, after future research I see that it 0.xx ohms, so I'm assuming I am seeing 0.25 - 0.28 ohms.

Thanks for the clarification.
    -andy

12. AndyFromWI

AndyFromWI Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One more note about the internal resistance.
    I just checked the Dr.Prius recorded file .CSV, and it shows that all cells started with an internal resistance of 0.19.
    Further into the ride, then all went to 0.20, then 0.21 then started to vary a bit.
    I'm not sure if this what triggered the change, I assume it was the cells charging / discharging. When I test again I would expect them all to be 0.19 on a cold traction battery.

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    One more zero. If you look at the screenshot you posted, the values are labeled 'milliohms' at the bottom of the screen. A milliohm is a thousandth of an ohm, or 0.001 ohm, so you are looking at 0.025 to 0.028 Ω.

A good sanity check on figures like that is to think about the typical battery currents when the car is in use, and use power = I²R to estimate how much power would be getting lost as heat in the battery connections if those figures were really in the quarter-ohm ballpark.

AndyFromWI likes this.
  14. AndyFromWI

AndyFromWI Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for the clarification and explanation!
    -andy

15. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just a comment on the internal resistance you're seeing, 19 mΩ is the default reading any time the battery ECU looses power, so on an old battery 19 mΩ doesn't mean much. You need to wait a while until the battery ECU can calculate the current values.

20-21 mΩ seems ok, and even the original values you mentioned of 25-28 mΩ are acceptable, but would be 'on watch' for me.

DIYaddict, drone13 and AndyFromWI like this.
  16. AndyFromWI

AndyFromWI Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I though I would post an update: 1/25/2021

After 10 days on the replacement modules and 1K everything is good so far. No RTOD, no engine codes.
    MPG are around 38-41 which is typical for a Wisconsin winter.
    Delta SOC is at 0, and voltage Diff is staying under 0.4v
    My only concern is internal resistance is bit higher than I would expect 20 - 28 miliohms.
    I will try and post an update in 6 months.
    -andy