1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Toyota Prius Road Test

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Environmental Altruism Making Sense

The Toyota Prius is the world's best selling, mass-produced gas/electric hybrid vehicle. Whether or not one likes the unconventionality of its styling, one thing is for certain: the Prius is proving itself fuel efficient and reliable. The oft-cited fear of expensive battery pack replacement has not actualized, even under the most rigorous applications such as taxicab usage.

Full Article

2. toronado455

toronado455 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Prius ride quality is really unexceptional. The vehicle rides like a typical compact or sub-compact car, meaning that road degradation is felt more so than in the Toyota Camry Hybrid I road tested prior to this week's Prius.

Really? I thought the Prius rode more like a midsize than a compact. Are they saying it doesn't ride any better than a Corolla?

3. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know. I left a "Talkback" message, we'll see what he says.

4. philmcneal

philmcneal Taxi!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    for a car that has over 180,000 km i think its pretty comfortable, even at 40 psi pressures. I've ridden in a lot worse cars, by no means I've never had people complaining about how harsh the ride is, in fact they claim it was smooth!

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I didn't quite get that. There's a noticeable difference in ride quality from 38/36 (where I kept my Integritys) to 35/33 hence I could tell when I needed to pump the tyres lol.

But even with the ultra smooth 02 Camry XLE, I found the Prius ok. It's a bit unsettled, yes and the rear suspension bounces all over the place if the road's uneven but I think the long wheelbase sorta partially offsets the poor ride quality.

I driven the Civic (EX and Hybrid models) and it has similar, if not identical wheelbase to the Prius and it rode well. Perhaps that's the car he's referring to. In that case, I have to agree, the Prius is poor compared to the Civic. (Fair comparison since the wheelbase is very very close)

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    interesting article and no surprise he didnt get the mileage he expected. thought for sure, someone would have mentioned the break in period. then again, i might.

also surprised at his evaluation of the cabin controls. having duplicate controls for nearly everything on the steering wheel imm, should have at least gotten a yellow

7. toronado455

toronado455 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Sorry

My browser seemed to cache the forum (very strange) and so I didn't see my post and reposted. Now I don't see how to delete the repost so I'm writing this explanation instead.

8. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It's not exactly a good layout... no physical HVAC controls and a lack of one touch stereo presets is a major usability faux pas.

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    True although the new Lexus models have some physical HVAC buttons in addition to the on-screen buttons

10. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If HVAC means the climate control, I agree: the climate controls are dreadful. You have to turn on the fan to change the temp, which is necessary because some air comes through even with the fan off, and to go from Max Hot to Max Cold you have to scroll through the entire temperature range.

I much prefer old-fashioned dials, which can go from Hot to Cold at the flick of a wrist. Also, the Prius allows re-circ or fresh air, but the dial on my old '89 Civic allowed any ratio in between.

11. railroadjames

railroadjames Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Re: 2008 Toyota Prius Gadgets That Frustrate

I too agree about the controls on the dash screen that seem "over complicated." Then there's the vent controls too that frustrate me when trying to get the airflow where you want it. Getting comfortable with the steering wheel controls (especially @ night) can be perplexing. Just when I think I've mastered them I blow it. By the way...Whats with all of today's cars and the ever annoying "helicopter'g baffle noise every summer when you want the windows open? Somebody comes up with a fix-it for this and I'll be impressed.

12. Mawcawfee

Mawcawfee Prius-less (for now)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I agree with you. The Prius' long wheelbase, tires near the corners, and tighter suspension make it ride like a decent mid-size. Not firm. Not floaty. Just about right. It seems the reviewer prefers a ride like grandpa's big old Buick (the "gold standard" :rolleyes: that Camry shoots for).

13. Mawcawfee

Mawcawfee Prius-less (for now)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Re: 2008 Toyota Prius Gadgets That Frustrate

"Booming" is caused by turbulent air streaming past partially-open rear windows, usually full-size rear windows. It's normal on any four-door vehicle I have ever driven, going well back into the early 60s. Most people just never noticed it until power windows became standard equipment on most cars starting in the early to mid 90s.

14. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You need to open windows on both sides of the car (driver and passenger) to equilibrate the air pressure. The booming will go away. I've experienced it in all the cars I've driven ranging from model years 1967 - 2004.

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Then they test the Camry XLE (instead of the SE) and complain how soft it is and how the Accord handles better? :p

16. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Oddly, my Zap Xebra does not do this. Even at 40 mph (its top speed on level ground) there's no hint of it. There's one long gently-sloping road where I routinely get up to 45 mph, and there's still no "booming."

17. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the booming only happens to me when the back window is down farther than a crack. and that is eliminated by opening a window on the other side the same amount

18. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Remember that the Civic has 4 wheel independent suspension, and the Prius has an old-fashioned beam axle out back. I recently had a chance to test drive a Honda Odyssey minivan and a 2008 Toyota Avalon, and you simply don't feel bumps or road texture.

A sharp bump at speeds of say 70 km/h that can expect a kick and perhaps a bit of a sidestep in a Prius, is simply absorbed in a car with 4 wheel independent suspension. Especially if the bump is on just one side of the car

19. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    On my FJ Cruiser, the HVAC has old-fashioned knobs for temp, fan speed, and air distribution. However, the control is purely electronic on CANBus and it is called the "Integration Control and Panel"

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    which makes a world of difference in a small car!