1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Toyota Prius won't start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by latinrx, Jan 12, 2017.

1. latinrx

latinrx New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Greetings,

I have a 2008 Toyota Prius with 208,800 highway miles. I went to move my car a bit ago, and it won't start. I press my foot on the brake, and press the power button... The normal lights come on the dash board, but it doesn't go to READY, and all the dash lights stay on. I am thinking I may have left a dome light on.

I've read some of the posts on here, but they're way over my head. I'm hoping someone can help give me some advice on where to start. Do I jump it? Should I have it towed to a mechanic? Ideas??

EDIT: Now all the gear lights (D, N, R, B, P) and gas level lights are flashing.

Thanks in advance!

-Nate

#1 latinrx, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, if you did you would have turned it off, right?
    First things first. Use a voltmeter to check the 12 V battery voltage at either the charge point under the hood, or directly at the battery at the back. Both positions are detailed in your owner's manual.

3. BBW

BBW New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have the same problem for my 2008 prius. I use my car every day and sometimes i have to connect a portable charger to the 12v battery just to start it. Earlier this week i was driving on the highway and i heard a loud beep and the dashboard read "transmission" then turned off on me. I had to pull over and as soon as plugged in the charger my car started normally. Now these past two days it only works when i have the charger connected to the 12v battery im not sure why. Help please

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The 12v battery is dead and needs to be changed? They don't last forever.

Why did you think you had to jump start the car? The battery is dead

edthefox5 likes this.
  5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In addition to what JC said above, with what you have reported, I'm wondering why your 12 V battery is toast. I'm thinking you may have a DC/DC converter on the fritz. Change the 12 V battery and then take a voltage reading with the car in READY. Report back with that voltage reading.

6. Palmee1

Palmee1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I also, have the same problem with my 2008 Toyota Prius. I was worried I may have to replace the hydrid battery. This is a great car but I might have to let it go. I don't want to have to take it in.

7. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you checked your resting 12v battery voltage?