1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 TPMS replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tmprius, Oct 17, 2020.

1. tmprius

tmprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Folks,

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I searched but couldn't find the answer to this. I had a 2005 (no TPMS) that was totaled by my insurance co. after the cat was stolen (yay, Los Angeles). My GF has a 2008 Prius, and I had nearly brand-new premium tires while hers were in need of replacement. I also had a hitch and we were preparing to move cross-country, so we paid the shop a few bucks to transfer my old hitch and swap the wheels between our cars before handing my 05 over to the insurance company. We realized a few states in to the move what we had done - her '08 had TPMS and we paid somebody to swap her wheels with tires & rims without TPMS. Total idiot moment, but here we are. I need to make this right, but I'm lost as to the best way to proceed. I've seen threads about letting CostCo replace and reprogram the TPMS, as well as buying the units off eBay and paying a local shop to install & register them. I'm leaning towards the former, but I'm open to any suggestions here. I realize how expensive of a mistake this has been, but this is where I am and need to make it right. Any advice on how to get 4 (+spare?) sensors installed and talking to the ECU?

Thanks everyone, you've been most helpful more times than I can count, and I hope to repay the favor someday.

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would use Costco. The old sensors would have died soon anyway as they have non-replaceable batteries. You want new and they have to be programmed into your girlfriend's car. Used off ebay will be a problem when they die a few months later.

Or you could stick a piece of black tape over the indicator.

#2 rjparker, Oct 17, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    tmprius likes this.
  3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am assuming you just need to replace the lost TPMS sensors for your GF. If that was my car, I would just drive without TPMS sensors installed or at the least wait until I need a new set of tires. The cost of installation of the TPMS sensor is the same as the tire installation. If your GF is insisting to replace the TPMS sensor now, either method will work, but I don't think Costco will use OEM TPMS sensors. Buying OEM sensors off eBay and take them to a local tire shop is likely the least expensive way to put back OEM TPMS sensors.

tmprius likes this.
  4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The compact spare on the Prius isn't monitored by the TPMS system. You would need to get 4 new sensors, have them installed and the sensor ID numbers entered into the car's computer.

OE sensors would probably last longest- shop around online or ebay to get the best price IF the tire shop you choose will do that- some places don't want to deal with customer supplied parts- others will.

It might cost less (short term) to have the tire shop install universal aftermarket sensors- they would only use whatever brand they carry and can program. Can't say how long that might last long term compared to OE.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

tmprius likes this.
  5. tmprius

tmprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    All excellent points. Thank you all for the helpful replies!

Salamander_King likes this.
  6. RobertK

RobertK Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Costco will sell the sensors for about $45 each and install them for $15 each. If you're buying new tires from them at the same time the install is free. Not cheap, but probably the best deal you'll get for new installed sensors.