1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 150k miles for a mechanical layman

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Redbot, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Redbot

Redbot New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm a city dweller who has never owned a car, but am considering buying my first. I read on carcomplaints that the 2009 is the most reliable Prius ever made. I found a couple '09s with ~150k miles and no accident history for ~$4500 - $5000.

My budget allows up to $12,000, but I'd prefer to save some money and get a car that's already depreciated. I plan on driving less than 5k miles per year.

I enjoy fixing things (washing machines, phones, etc.) and can follow video tutorials, but I have zero experience fixing cars.

I realize the hybrid battery on any '09 prius is nearing its end, so I'll set aside $2k for a replacement. Is there any other major expense I should consider? Is an older car a good idea for a newbie like me, or should I spend more for something new?

#1 Redbot, Jan 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    PriusCamper likes this.
  2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Redbot likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Does that show the service history? There's some very conciensious DIY owner's really on top of maintenance, also doing things Toyota doesn't recommend, transaxle fluid change for example. Not sure where I'm going with this, maybe: yeah check the service history, but also check the car, talk directly to the owner if possible.

Tough question. With no automotive experience, I'd lean towards new purchase.

4. Kaptainkid1

Kaptainkid1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The biggest problem with keeping the hybrid battery and any battery condition healthy is lack of uses. So having a Hybrid car should be start it and driven as much as possible 10k-15k per year is normal and good with regular maintenance oil changes etc.
    Which mean leaving a car parked weeks or months at a time is bad. Also because of California laws about hybrid battery warranties must last 10 year or 150k without problems, therefore toyota really over engineered the Hybrid system and made them very reliable. Even though 10yr/150k warranty isn't applied to all states but was designed to last long. We have lot of Prius owners still running the original Hybrid packs with 250k. I'm at 175k and torque apk tells me my hybrid battery are still good. I would get the car checked out by a Mechanic example: Firestone does a 50 point check up for $30 and also a carfax check too.

Good luck!

SM-J737T1 ?

#4 Kaptainkid1, Jan 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    Redbot likes this.
  5. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Don't let Firestone touch your car...unless you're just there for their tires. There's a reason "Mechanics" work there.

6. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Great Prices!!! You're gonna love it... And you can get a lot of life out of an original 09 battery pack before replacing... So make sure it's the original pack, or replacement came new direct from Toyota because too often people say "new" battery pack when it's actually a rebuilt used pack, which can require way more maintenance that an original. You're also going to want to clean/replace the battery packs corroded bus bars, as well as do reconditioning on pack to restore capacity. Learn more here: Prolong Battery Systems. Extending the life of your hybrid. — Hybrid Automotive

Aaron Vitolins, Redbot and WilDavis like this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    5k/year? get a corolla/civic/etc. what would be the point of a hybrid?

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I agree. Still, our miles per year used to be about 10K, have dwindled to around to 5K (at most), but I still get a kick out of our Prius, wouldn't trade it. (y)

dig4dirt, J1050 and Merkey like this.
  9. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I should've explained why I recommended running the VIN (beyond the service history), which is to check for odometer shenanigans. I've seen two clean vehicles with rolled back odometers that didn't come remotely close to the reported mileage, and without a little due diligence it would've been quite difficult to tell. Example: was offered an 08 with 130k, pulled up the VIN to find the most recent dealer service was dated 08/21/2017 at 224,118 miles, can only guess how many additional miles were put on in the last 2+ years. In this case the owner had been duped by the previous seller.

10. Redbot

Redbot New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You saved my behind, thank you. I ran the VIN and noticed there'd been no service history for two years. Did a little digging on facebook and found that he'd posted about his car being in a wreck.

I asked the other '09 seller if I could see the VIN and he's ghosted.

Makes me want to stick to bicycles

11. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    bisco has a great point.

Corolla will have very good reliability and also great mpg.
    Will probably at least give you some minor wrenching to do from time to time with maintenance etc.

12. oldtechaa

oldtechaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    I have to agree with bisco. At 5k/yr, you're not using the car enough to keep the battery in optimal condition. Also, you're paying a Toyota premium for a car that you're not driving enough to have problems with. I wouldn't even recommend a Toyota. Consider another Asian brand that's still reliable but doesn't command the price premium of Toyota.