1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 Delayed braking & dangerous .

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by MP3gee, Oct 13, 2020.

1. MP3gee

MP3gee New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have a 2009 Prius that is experiencing severe brake delay issues, the driver reports it dangerous on both dry but worse on wet roads. would i be looking at the brake pedal position sensor as a possible culprit?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ask the driver did the severe brake delay come after they hit a bump on the road

Prodigyplace likes this.
  3. MP3gee

MP3gee New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    She can't recall if it happened after a big bump or not, but now it is constant.

Also the car has now been sitting for about 6 months due to this very problem.. I was able to see that i think a tsb mentioned the brake accumulator as a possible culprit.

#3 MP3gee, Oct 13, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2020
  4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the brake actuator can't pressurize the brakes, you would get warnings on your dash.

Have you gone to check the brakes? Maybe the brake pads are used up?

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Is there a squirty sound when applying the brakes?

A conventional car that badly needs the brakes bled just won't stop. The Prius brakes will still kinda sorta work, as there is a big pressurized fluid accumulator that can squirt enough fluid into the lines to squish the bubbles and apply the brakes. But it takes a moment. (Furthermore, if ever some other glitch is detected that drops the brakes into fail-safe mode, then it will be like a conventional car, and just won't stop.)

6. MP3gee

MP3gee New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The driver stated she was having the braking issue prior to getting pads replaced & the pad replacement didn't help. Brake pedal is squishy & have to push it down really far & very slow to brake.

7. MP3gee

MP3gee New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Sorry I was just trying to see if one of you, would say 'this' or 'that' is very common on these. So if the pads have been recently replaced & that didn't help the issue. I will try to get a techstream & see what all the codes read. It might be a week or 2 before that happens tho.

8. MP3gee

MP3gee New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Ok so I test drove the car today, the vsc/brake light is on & the brakes grind but the pedal is firm. I'm thinking whoever did the brake job prior didn't actually replace the pads or even do a brake job.. just feels/sounds like your typical metal on metal rotor/worn pads. I am fairly versed in brakes & performance & have changed my fair share of brake pads/rotors & such. Upon feeling the actual front brake rotors they were worn indicating metal wear. So I will replace those. But bother to look at the back brakes & now I learn that the 2009 had a mid year brake change from drums to rotors, so I am stuck waiting for a picture of the rotor or drum to figure out what to order.

CanTG likes this.
  9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Did that really happen with the 2009 Gen 2 Prius, or is that just some catalog's way of showing the difference between the Gen 2 drums and the Gen 3 (first built in 2009, for MY 2010) discs?

Seems like a quick peek through the spokes of a rear wheel would settle your question.

SFO likes this.