1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 Excessive Oil Consumption/Loss

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by daisy555, Mar 17, 2021.

1. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,

My Prius was in an accident. Front and rear bumper damage. There was an ever so slight noise under car and dealership looked things over and thought it could be from the heat shield clamp broken off. They temporarily secured it. I'm going from memory.

Over the years I've had slight increase in oil consumption but after this last oil change (after accident )I had significant loss. There is no oil dripping onto the pavement where I park. Any ideas what this could mean??

Car is at auto body shop today. They are going to examine under car to see extent of heat shield damage. What could cause the oil to decrease to bottom line on dipstick when under 3000 from last oil change?

Of course dealership said the car could be totaled and I'm trying not to go there. Seems like every time I pay off a car something major goes wrong within months and I LOVE my 2009 Prius!

I wasn't really worried until I saw the oil loss.

Thank you,

Maria

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The distance between the two marks on the dipstick is roughly 1.5 quarts, which makes your oil consumption rate 1 quart per 2000 miles. That’s not that great, nor is it “runaway” consumption.

How many miles on it? What kind of oil are you using, and how frequently are you changing it?

daisy555 likes this.
  3. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Sorry I forgot to include those details. 173,000 miles. Conventional SAE 5W30 I was getting oil changed every 5000 miles and at about 4000 miles I needed to add a 1/2 quart. That's why I was shocked that it was so low so soon. Switching to every 3000 miles is probably best at this age. Thanks

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1. Don't worry until you have to.

2. VERIFY your oil burn rate. Many things *can* cause the oil "to decrease to bottom line on dipstick when under 3000 from last oil change" including not being properly filled DURING the last oil change.
    Check your oil every third or fourth time you fill the gas tank.

3. Like many things in life.....it's not the YEARS but the MILEAGE that count when you call something "old."
    How many miles on your car?
    Like @Mendel Leisk pointed out,1quart burned every 2000 miles isn't GREAT, but you can live with it for many, many miles.

4. In addition to checking your oil more often, consider shortening your oil change interval to 5,000 miles.

Good Luck!

#4 ETC(SS), Mar 17, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    Mendel Leisk and daisy555 like this.
  5. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you! Especially for reminding me not to worry until I have to. : } Anxiety stinks.

I’m assuming you meant shorten oil change interval to 3000 miles. That’s what I will do and definitely check it more often. I’ve heard multiple people say they’ve paid for oil changes that didn’t include enough oil so I will be checking oil right after changes from now on too. I really appreciate your feedback!

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    do you check the level after a change?

i wouldn't shorten the change interval, waste of money and resources.

just check it every fill up and top up as necessary.

i think you'll be fine, that's pretty typical for the age and miles

daisy555 likes this.
  7. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Thank you, Bisco. I haven't been checking oil level after oil change but will do so from now on. I remember you were one of my super helpful Prius shopping consultants.: } Can't believe it was over 5 years ago. Forever grateful!

Aaron Vitolins and bisco like this.
  8. ttou68

ttou68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    One thing to consider is the PCV valve...
    Might be a good idea to replace it, if hasn't been changed for a while..

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

daisy555 likes this.
  9. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Might be my ignorance showing.
    I was thinking that the oil change interval for G2s is 10,000 like "my" company's G3.

Just to be clear, @bisco is right.
    Nothing unusual about that...... ;)

If your OCI is every 5,000 miles than there is really no need to shorten this to 3,000, unless you're not making sure that your oil level is sufficient.
    Checking the PCV valve will not hurt, but I would stay well away from the dealership that gave you the "opinion' in your OP.

Best of Luck!

daisy555 likes this.
  10. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure where to post this or what to do at this point. I just received call from the auto body shop and my car would be totaled if they negotiate for OEM bumper etc. No warranty on these parts that the insurance company is listing apparently. It took me three months to find this car and I don't have back up while looking for car. The unexpected damage was the key fob antenna. OEM $271.

11. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good Luck![/QUOTE]

Hi ETS I'm posting this in two places. I just received call from the auto body shop and my car would be totaled if they negotiate for OEM bumper etc. No warranty on these parts that the insurance company is listing apparently. It took me three months to find this car and I don't have back up while looking for car. The unexpected damage was the key fob antenna. OEM $271.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    can you just drive it as is? or have them do minimal repair to get it on the road?

do you need the key fob antenna?

13. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been driving it for almost a year. The insurance company was only going to cut me a $1400 check and I knew there was way more damage. I just posted in the general forum area. : } At this point they wouldn't cut a check for the supplemental repairs and the car has been taken apart.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    oh dear. is your insurance co chasing them?

15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sounds like a good insurance company, to avoid. “We don’t have your back”, could be their mission statement? Care to name them?

16. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The fact that it's been taken apart isn't a huge dea
    "P"

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that lady drives me crazy. f

18. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry guys I'm bouncing back and forth because I posted the repair question in the general forum. I don't know what to do with my insurance company. It's more complicated because I have an injury which I'm shouldn't discuss here. My insurance company can't talk about the claim with me.

At this point if I had the auto body put it back together which is really just putting bumpers and grill back on, I would have to pay for labor and storage.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry to hear! i hope you recover and quickly.

i think you're gonna have to let this play out. are they paying for a rental?

20. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I think you're right. The least stressful thing would be to get it fixed and then have time to shop for a newer one over time and let go of the fact that the money could have been used for a deposit on a newer car. I could complicate things even more and Monday ask the body shop what I would owe them to put it back together. I'm forgetting that the increase in the estimate is not technically supplemental yet. It was an adjustment to the initial estimate that was based on my photos. due to COVID.

Rental = New Corolla with only 300 miles on it. Makes me love my Prius even more. : }