1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 Gen 2 Prius battery low (Pink bars)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Robert Davis, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Robert Davis

Robert Davis New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So my 2009 Prius with 178k miles died on me when i turned it off after listening to music in the car for 15 mins, i could not start it up at all..i tried taking out a fuse and putting it back in for some electricity to flow... the dashboard came on for a second or two..then died. So i got a jump and it turned on....stayed on showing 3 bars (blue) drove 20 miles home. It would not start again without having it jumped...when looking at the DISPLAY it does not go over 3 bars....strangely several minutes later the bars would drop to pink. I got the car towed and put in a new 12V battery, which now turns on and seems to drive no problem but gradually lowers its battery meter bar when standing or stopped it goes back to 2 PINK BARS..

If the new 12v battery is fine...HOW is it lowering down to pink at the moment of death for the car

There is no check engine light so it can not be the hybird battery at fault.?

PLEASE help.

2. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You are confusing the 12v aux battery with the HV hybrid battery. The state of charge graph you see on the screen is for the HV battery. If you have no other errors and it runs fine, you likely don't have any problems. But as you have a nearly 10 year old car the HV battery is most likely showing signs of age.

bisco likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds normal to me, i think you're fine.

don't listen to the radio or use the hvac unless the car is ready, it is bad for the 12v. the check engine light should go off after multiple drives.

Raytheeagle and WilDavis like this.