1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 Gen3 Prius Requires New Steering Column

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by GrumpyCabbie, Jun 24, 2011.

1. co_prius_3

co_prius_3 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My 2011 is starting to have the steering wheel "clunk" or feeling of slip in the motion while turning under load. I guess I'll have to take it in to be on the safe side. I might wait until the 5k service.

Has anyone else noticed this problem on a 2011? Seems awful early to be having steering column issues.

I googled around and apparently the steering thunk is not necessarily a safety issue. I'm going to have it checked anyway to make sure nothing is loose..

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    All, My 2004 had the "Intermediate Steering Column" recall early in it's life and then needed a new steering column at 150k miles at my cost (~$1000). It seems that this may be a recurring problem in high mileage 2004-2009 (and maybe later) Prii.

JeffD

3. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not true, a lot of the higher volume dealers have switched to 0W20 bulk.

4. Raptor

Raptor New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The wrong weight of oil can seriously mess stuff up inside the engine such as clearances and sensors as well.