1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 HID headlamp enclosure...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Davelopment, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Davelopment

Davelopment Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Long time lurker, first time poster. I have factory HID headlamps in my 2009 Prius and have read all about the issues people have had with them. Fortunately I have just started having issues with the lamps turning off and was planning on starting with replacing the bulbs. However, the headlamp enclosures are so discolored and foggy I wanted to replace them at the same time. I found some enclosures on Amazon, but they got mixed reviews regarding the light pattern so I shied away from them. Does anyone have any recommendations for a replacement for the factory HID enclosures?

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If it were up to me, I would do everything possible to keep the OEM assemblies. It could save you a ton of money to just try one of these kits. This is a cut and paste of a reply I made in another thread. I'm still awestruck by the results......

I was a semi-non believer in the lens restoration kits until yesterday. I helped a friend out with a 2005 Audi A4 convertible. The headlights were HID and they looked like crap. They were actually so bad they were yellowish. We looked online for high rated kits and one that showed up around #2 or #3 of the top 5 for 2018 was a Turtle Wax kit available at Walmart.com for ~$6. We went to the closest WallyWorld, grabbed 2 of them (each supposedly good for 2 lights) and found that they were $8.99? in store.

We removed the headlights from the car to do this. The only thing we did different from the directions was to hit the lenses with some 1500 grit wet/dry and 2000 wet/dry prior to using the kit components.

Holy crap they look good. I would never have believed it if I hadn't been involved in doing it. I may never buy a new headlight again. We only used one kit, so the second kit is mine to do my 2007 Prius lenses when I have time.

Turtle Wax T240KT Headlight Lens Restorer Kit - Walmart.com

SFO and srellim234 like this.