1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 HID Headlight Issues

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tsit73, Jan 24, 2017.

1. tsit73

tsit73 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello... I have an 09 Prius with 99k miles. A couple weeks ago while I was pulling into my garage I noticed the passenger side headlight go out. I turned the lights off and on and both headlights worked. This has been going on for a few weeks. Then last night I noticed that the driver's side light was out. Again switched the light off and on and both worked. Can anyone tell me if they think this is just the headlights dying or possibly a fuse issue? Took it to AAA auto care and they were clueless. Thanks in advance.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. Augustus88

Augustus88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Two possibilities - 1 : Dying bulbs (HIDs frequently flicker, go dim, or turn off when they are about to go bad)
    2 : Dying HID Ballast. The ballast is a small box that houses some electronic components. It is mounted to the bottom of the headlight housing. These do not last forever, and moisture intrusion into the headlight housing kills them quickly, as the water runs down to where they are at the bottom. If your headlights get condensation on the inside, then it is most likely the ballasts.

I would start with new bulbs, if the issue persists, it is almost assuredly the ballasts.

3. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This is the usual way HID bulbs die. Replace them with genuine Philips brand D4Rs.

4. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As Augustus88 said, This is a known symptom of failing bulbs or failing ballasts.
    If you plan to DIY search around for youtube videos, etc on the job.

Genuine bulbs are expensive (Sometimes over $100) as are the ballasts.
    Be very careful about what you buy so you don't end up with low-quality knockoffs that will only provide a temporary solution.
    Start by contacting your dealer parts department to find out the cost of the items.
    Then you can search around for other options.
    But remember, if the price is too good to be true, avoid at them at all costs.

5. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    GlamourHippie likes this.