1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 INVERTER PUMP

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by RICH MOFFO, Jan 3, 2022.

1. RICH MOFFO

RICH MOFFO New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    2009 Prius. Changed inverter pump and getting no turbulance in inverter tank. System was bled.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check the voltage

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Does the pump make any sound or vibration when the car is IG ON?

4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

Did you purchase and install a new OEM pump from the dealership?

FYI : you're moderated until you've posted 5 times.

5. RICH MOFFO

RICH MOFFO New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yes I hear it kick on when I start the car and also fell vibration on the hoses but the coolant stays calm. Got me stumpted.

6. RICH MOFFO

RICH MOFFO New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I also read that other people had the same problem but unable to contact them for a solution.

7. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How many miles on this vehicle?
    Why was the inverter coolant pump replaced, and were there any obd2 codes (DTCs) that pointed towards replacement?

Did you notice any turbulence prior to the inverter coolant pump swap?
    Do you have any links to what was read?

8. RICH MOFFO

RICH MOFFO New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    1. No, bought a cheap pump online. 2. mileage around 94000.3. Got the red triangle and obd2 code to replace inverter pump. 4. Yes I noticed turbulance in the inverter tank. 5. only read I found so far is from reviews from people who had purchased an inverter tank and are getting same results as me..

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Any chance the pump you're hearing "kick on" is the engine coolant recovery system pump? That one runs for a matter of seconds before the engine starts.

The inverter pump should be running even when the car is IG ON (two power button presses, no brake), quieter, and constant.

With a Gen 2 that has four water pumps under the hood, it takes extra care to pin down the sound of the right one.

10. RICH MOFFO

RICH MOFFO New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yes that is exactly the pump I am referring to. I've tried that method of running the pump without starting the car. I read on you tube that you should not run pump for more than 14 seconds or damage may occur. So I do not drive this car at all for fear of damage to the inverter. Am I right in assuming that the coolant flow moves from the inverter tank to the inverter pump?

11. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Many aftermarket inverter pumps have been known to fail, best to use OEM, unless it comes with a lifetime warranty and labor is free or you don't mind the inconvenience of not having a working vehicle during an inopportune time (doctor appointment, school, work, winter, etc)
    If the inverter coolant pump wasn't replace once already via a campaign at the dealership, then this is about the right time for replacement.
    Which obd2 codes did you get, was it a DTC P0A93?
    If you've notice turbulence in the tank before replacement or before it failed, then the coolant circuit should be fine.
    Sounds like the quality control on this aftermarket offering is poor at best. Post a link to the part so others don't make the same purchase?

Confirm that the AM2 fuse is still intact, it might've popped when the previous (or current) pump failed.

Do you have a multimeter or a voltmeter ?

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That sounds like somebody, somewhere, is under some confusion. The inverter cooling pump runs constantly, nonstop, from the moment the car goes IG ON until it is parked and turned off. And yes, after some 100,000+ miles, the pump wears out, but that's a lot more than 14 seconds.

Without seeing that youtube source, maybe they meant dry-running the pump on a workbench for testing. I avoid doing that at all, not even for 14 seconds; the pump relies on the coolant for lubrication. When I wanted to test-run one on the bench, I used a bucket with coolant and some hoses.

13. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The 14 seconds might refer to running the pump dry. It will spin that way but with no fluid in it will probably wear quickly. However, 14 seconds is an oddly specific number. OK for 14, but blows up at 15? Not likely.

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  15. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    How did you bleed the inverter cooling system? It is very possible the there is air in part of the system that's preventing the pump from getting primed and working. I attach some small hose to the bleeder valve on the front of the inverter and SECURE the other end in the reservoir. Then open the bleeder and power on the car. Once it pushes out some air the pump started working and got much quieter once the bleed hose only discharged coolant- ie was fully bled.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

16. Mr. Marty

Mr. Marty Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, I filled the system with the same setup as mr_guy_mann with the power off. My guess is it's a vane pump, so coolant can pass around the vanes. I filled the reservoir with the bleed nipple open, then hit the on button. I didn't get many bubbles after doing that. Seemed to work pretty well.

17. RICH MOFFO

RICH MOFFO New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Well went to the
    Toyota parts dept. Bought new pump ($172.00). Installed it , bled air out of system, pump is running but still no movement in inverter tank. Is it necessary to have movement in the inverter tank, I don't want to ruin my inverter. Car runs fine, no warning sighs show up on display screen.

18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Very difficult to imagine the pump running but not making visible motion in the bottle. I wonder if there is a clog.

19. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There you go.

20. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model: