1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 Japanese Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bigsteel, Oct 6, 2017.

1. bigsteel

bigsteel New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello everyone, I just got my 2009 Prius today, The first thing I noticed was that it did not have the power mode and eco mode buttons only the ev mode button behind the steering wheel,this is a japanese version does anyone have any info on these type of Prius, It didn't come with a manual. This is how it looks,I downloaded this image from google thanks in advance. 2008-toyota-prius-Mk-2-interior.jpg

2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I hope you know Japanese. As far as I know the language cannot be changed on a Japanese Prius.
    I think @Tideland Prius has information on some Japanese models.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this is gen 2 in usa, no power or eco modes. just drive it. what do you need to know?

4. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    +1

Those modes are only on Gen3 Prius and above, starting Model Year 2010.

5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The MFD appears to be in English. I can't think of anything else that would need to be to operate a Gen 2.

6. bigsteel

bigsteel New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks for the info, can km be change to mph

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there should be a button to the lower left of the steering wheel. at least on n/a cars.

8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It appears to be in English because it is a Google stock photo, probably of a RHD for the English market.

I can most assured advise that JDMs are in Japanese and cannot be changed. The MFD language is set at the factory for the destination market.
    If it can, the button circled in this pic:
    MFD km:h mph button.png
    will do it. Press and hold and it it will swap the distance unit. If not, it just switches the instrument dim off.

#8 dolj, Oct 7, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    fotomoto and Prodigyplace like this.
  9. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    There is nothing wrong with the car.

Power Mode and Eco mode buttons belong to Gen3 (2010-2015).
    EV mode button does belong to Gen2 (2004-2009): Europe and JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) models.

Some in the US have modified their Gen2 USA Prius with a genuine OEM EV button or an aftermarket button. The Gen2 USA model has the capability of EV mode, but Toyota Japan decided not to ship the USA bound cars with the button, or even offer it as an option.

Swapping out the MFD might work?????? You will be conducting your own experiment to see if this works. I am not aware of anyone attempting this b/c you will have to buy a used/new MFD display.
    Try searching crapBay (eBay), craigslist, Amazon, and Autobeyours (04 and newer Prius Parts Cars), for a 2009 MFD.

10. bigsteel

bigsteel New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello everyone, after driving my Prius, I decided to press that button and immediately I felt a difference with the car the gas pedal became lest responsive the air condition wasn't as cold, It was like being in eco mode. I press the button again the gas pedal became more responsive and when i press the ev button it flashed and went right out and displayed a message on the display for a couple of seconds and cut out. Ipress it again and the car return to normal, I press the ev button again and the car went into ev mode, but mines doesn't change the distance unit, I'm still hoping that It's possible to change km/h to mph if not I will have to do my own calculations, I'm averaging 26km/l.

11. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    1) STOP saying "eco" mode! The Gen2 (2004-2009) Prius does not have that, like the Gen3 (2010-2015).
    2) What button? Is "that button," the EV mode button?
    3) EV mode is intended to be used for short distances and limited periods. IE, moving the car from the driveway, in Electric Vehicle mode, so you can backout w/o the engine comming on, causing unnecessary noise, possibly waking up your family/kids/neighbors. Once on the street, turn off EV mode. Pretty much think of EV mode button, as a button to drive on electricty only, to move the car a short distance.
    4) Download a 2009 UK version owner manual. This will be similar and likely cover everynaspect of your 2009 JDM Prius: both are right hand drive, and I believe the UK Prius has the EV button as well.

12. bigsteel

bigsteel New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the info, I'm aware of where the ev mode button is, but the button next to the odo trip button only has an icon no words, if you look at the picture posted above a member circle the button, that's the one I'm referring to, thanks again I'll try to see if I can find one of those manual.

13. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Presumably the button circled on the image in post #8.
    You just imagined all that. That button would not have had any effect on any of those things. You seem to be confused with features on the Gen 3 with the Gen 2. As exstudent has tried to point out to you the Gen 2 has neither ECO mode nor PWR mode.
    The message would have been something like "EV mode is not available now." Just two of the factors that can prevent EV mode is the HV battery temp is to high or speed is above 44 km/h.

Like exstudent has already advised, EV mode is not a drive mode and you will actually get worse km/l trying to use it the way you are. Again as exstudent has advised just use it for things like repositioning on a driveway, when you need a quiet approach or exit from the neighborhood (and only the first or last 100 m/100 yds), moving at a slow speed in an enclosed parking structure, etc. You would do better, km/l wise, to learn about the stages of hybrid warm up (see link in my signature) and the hypermiling technique called pulse and glide (P&G). Again, see the relevant link in my signature.
    No, it is not possible, sorry.