1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 Photos of Exhaust pipes /catalytic converter still there?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by daisy555, Sep 12, 2022.

1. prius16

prius16 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    (y)

I stay home during snow storms. Let the 20-year olds risk their lives to drive to work, to save a day off. Not me.
    Otherwise, I run Blizzaks on all 4 wheels (on separate dedicated factory OEM rims, using the Autel cloneable TPMS sensors).
    For me, morning/night ice-over of roads is one of the biggest/most dangerous issues during the winter. Blizzaks still rule on ice stopping ability. Hence, I run Blizzaks. (y)

#21 prius16, Sep 13, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2022
  2. prius16

prius16 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    First, you're very right.
    That anything added to the vehicle can effect the warranty.

Do not listen, nor trust, the stuff in forums/interweb.
    Especially, when people say "put on a hitch, lift the car, weld-on the rear bed of an F150", and "it won't effect your warranty". And, those people's background, experience, education, licenses?

Fwiw, Steve Letho, on youtube, goes over details in real lawsuits ("automotive" lawyer 25+ years, wrote for road&track, taught law for 10+ years, etc).

For example, putting a hitch on a Prius, could void a lot of areas (electric motor, gas engine, tranny, brakes, suspension, frame, and so on).
    Pretty much, any Toyota mechanic could tell if the rear bumper support was removed (for a hitch) and put back on.
    But, putting a hitch on a Prius, would not effect the warranty on something unrelated to a hitch - like the electric seat motors. Phew! ;-)

I looked about the MillerCat option.
    Interesting!
    Toyota offers the MillerCat shield as an option on the Prius hybrid, but not the Prime. Hence, why I'm not familiar with that option, nor ever asked.
    I also didn't see anything on the Toyota website, or brochures (including the warranty), about the MillerCat shield.

Fwiw, I could see a case where if the primary or secondary cat failed within the 84-montk/70K miles, or during an "extended warranty" period, that the dealer or Toyota could try to blame it on the cat shield and the "extra heat" caused by the "restricted cooling".
    However, in New England, that would be pushing it.
    NOTE: For Gen3 and Gen4, Toyota knows every inch and every speed that the car has traveled. So, if you go racing on Death Valley during the summer, Toyota know every detail for every inch, that the car was racing in.
    However, Toyota/Prius cats very rarely fail under warranty. They are a Toyota part, not a GM part.

Also, assuming you're not abusing the Prius by racing, again Toyota has telemetry for every second/every inch of every Gen4, for something like a dealer-installed MillerCat shield, and an early failed cat, "chances are" that Toyota would honor the warranty.
    Again, it's Toyota, not GM. Toyota is one of the last manufactures who target long-term return customers.
    Well, there's also Bentley. Imho, I can't think of another off hand (I don't keep up to date in the ultra-luxury market - $400K+ ) .

Btw, even the Gen4 cats are stolen. But, they are not as valuable, not by a long shot. Still, ?$50-$100?, for a quick nearby Gen4 cat, is still money. A Gen4 without a cat shield takes about 60 seconds longer (an aluminum brace and thin steel plate)? But, causes ~2x the cost in damage.
    So, yes, stealing a Gen4 cat, is a much bigger deterrence, from a time/risk (noise for longer), and for a much lower amount of money for the time/effort. Still, a very low theft rate, is not a zero theft rate.

Btw, if people don't want the telemetrics going back to Toyota, they can kill all connected services by having the cell-phone/GPS antenna cables disconnected to the "shark fin" antenna on the roof. Any Stereo shop can do that quickly (~~30mins).
    Still, the Toyota ECMs keep track of "extreme use" of the vehicles. So, NASCAR oval track racing would definitely be recorded and noted. Same for repeated 1/4-mile track runs.
    If people don't like the above, then Factory Five Racing is still selling cars. :)
    https://www.factoryfive.com/

Good Luck!

#22 prius16, Sep 13, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2022
    daisy555 likes this.
  3. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I bought my MillerCat complete direct from them, had it delivered to my home and took it to Toyota dealer for installation. Yes they billed me an hour and a half but did an excellent job and in the process they eliminated an annoying slight exhaust rattle that was there for as long as I owned the car. The dealer tells me that it does not void any warranty on my OEM recently replaced catalytic converter. They install various brands. They don’t sell the shields.

daisy555 likes this.
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Voiding a warranty the car is new. The warranty after 30 or 40,000 mi is not the same as the car is new in Europe many of these aftermarket things are illegal to TUV doesn't allow them etc . In America pretty much anything goes you talk to any lawyer in America and they've done very little about automotive aftermarket parts upgrades blinding headlights loud horns and scare the hell out of people any of that stuff nothing is almost ever been to court in that realm in the States it's almost non-existent whereas you go to Europe and you change the headlight bulbs in your car and your car can be taken from you till you pay money and straighten it out not here in the States I have seen circumstances where lawyers could have possibly made tons of money for our client and the stuff just went right out the window etc I've seen accidents happen and people turn their turn signal on after the wreck and claim I had my return signal on to make the turn etc etc fun stuff but it never makes court and never does anything in the States That's a fact. Not even in California where most of this stuff could be practiced and made to work goes right out the window

5. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Buy a shield and see what happens
    Don’t buy a shield and see what happens

daisy555 likes this.
  6. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Apparently not required to now that a CARB rated aftermarket cat is available. Still waiting on estimate because insurance is waiting on virtual photos. : / I guess I’m being impatient since dealership could have repaired by tomorrow. I should have gone down there today and taken the photos myself but not feeling well. Getting rental tomorrow.

Dealership said the aftermarket cat sometimes causes engine light to go off. Then it has to be replaced again. I guess insurance will have to deal with this if it happens.

#26 daisy555, Sep 13, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2022
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here's the cat I bought off Amazon it fit really good and ran perfectly. I sold the car a year later and it never threw a code. In fact the car ran better with this new cat. The only thing that didn't fit was the included donut that came with the amazon cat. It was too small. I had already bought a new factory donut in anticipation of this issue.

I have included the part number for the new factory donut. Its a good idea to replace that donut anyway as that's where the cat will leak.

I sold my OEM on eBay. I painted the new Amazon cat cat bright orange before installation.

Attached Files:

ColoradoCrow and daisy555 like this.
  9. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Am I understanding correctly? Even though Connecticut is a CARB state and my Prius had the longer CARB emissions warranty when I purchased it, the replacement catalytic converter does not have to be CARB certified?

Only California, New York and Maine require replacement cat to be CARB certified? That makes no sense.

Still waiting on repair…

10. Antonio1

Antonio1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Cat shield does not work any longer although insurance like us to pay for them. My cat was stolen by sawing from the access hole in front of the cat shield and the rear end of the shield and the rubber exhaust hangers were also cut with the converter removed in 5 minutes for the second time while under video surveillance at the hospital where I work. Security says it did not happen on their shift. They are wrong, however, it was stolen during shift change. Makes no difference since they are scared to confront this organized crime.

Now I am getting low voltage code from my down stream o2 sensor.
    I welded a plate to cover the front access point. Still - I need ideas how to hook up a stun gun for anyone who even looks under my Prius. Any other ideas are welcome.

11. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I've often said similar about aftermarket stuff like hitches and legalities . It's a tough sell you e got to get DA on board etc . If it a person with clout in community etc good luck. Etc most of it is real stretches of any laws. Just like wen folks have accidents . You see lights miraculously turn on. Blinkers activated etc . And folks screaming at officer that wasn't on at time of accident . Blah blah blah.. it's why theyres insurance . Because people are shady . Always have been .