1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 Prius battery won’t fit from Pep Boys

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tropicalswell, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Tropicalswell

Tropicalswell New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just left Pep Boys and the battery that they had does not fit my Prius. The group 51 battery does not fit my Prius. What battery fits my Prius. My car is having trouble starting especially in the snow. I did leave a light on or keep the door open. Pep Boys tested my battery and said it was low

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

The required 12v battery is based on if you have the SKS feature or not, have you looked on the top of your old battery for a part # yet?

If the various chain stores are having issues selling you a battery, you can always go to the dealer :eek:

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I worked on a Gen 2 this weekend that had a new Exide Edge AGM battery #FP-AGM51. The rated CCA is 400 and it tested at 700. It had adapters on it to work with the smaller Prius terminal connectors. The owner opened the hatch and removed the inside trim pieces to get access. I don't know anything about the exact fit, but it was in there and working.

SFO likes this.
  4. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What about it does not fit? The size in the battery well? The terminals?

SFO likes this.
  5. RobertK

RobertK Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The group 51 battery will fit a Prius if it came with SKS, but you will need to get an adapter for the positive terminal and replace the negative battery cable. If you don't have SKS you will also need to get the battery hold-down for the SKS car as well or bend the old hold-down to fit. The SKS equipped cars have a slightly larger battery than the non-SKS cars.

The drop in replacement battery for SKS cars is DS4624R, which is essentially a group 51 battery with Japanese battery posts.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you don’t want oem or optima, try auto zone, batteries plus, or other auto parts stores